power for engine and recvier

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power for engine and recvier

hi
can i use a 6 volt battery for the engine gas dle 20 and the reciver off a y set up thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You could just use a "Y" and with modern radios, it would probably work OK. But there are better ways to go. If you want to use one battery, i would recommend using an Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit or (IBEC). Here is one of the most common brands:

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

It provides some isolation between the receiver and ignition, it provides a means to kill the engine from the receiver and it has a built in voltage regulator with short circuit protection .... plus other features. These are well proven devices. Other brands are available but this is my personal preference because of its versatility and ease of use. There are very few reports of problems with these units.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Truckracer
You could just use a "Y" and with modern radios, it would probably work OK. But there are better ways to go. If you want to use one battery, i would recommend using an Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit or (IBEC). Here is one of the most common brands:

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

It provides some isolation between the receiver and ignition, it provides a means to kill the engine from the receiver and it has a built in voltage regulator with short circuit protection .... plus other features. These are well proven devices. Other brands are available but this is my personal preference because of its versatility and ease of use. There are very few reports of problems with these units.
It may be a really good unit but it still is just another part to fail that you don't really need
Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by dirtybird
It may be a really good unit but it still is just another part to fail that you don't really need
True but the IBEC replaces other parts that can also fail. I held your opinions about the IBEC for a very long time but decided to try the Tech Aero unit when I heard such positive reports about it's performance. I have been more than pleased and now have them in every gas powered plane I own. I'm in my third season using them now with zero problems. I had more problems than that maintaining separate ignition batteries and switches. So for me, the reliability factor is a trade off for convenience with some added safety features (cut off) and the Tech Aero has not disappointed me in any way.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I could say the same about the Rcexl opti switch and my experiences with it. After several seasons on several different planes, have found them to be reliable, functional, and 1/2 the cost of the TA switch. The only advantage the TA switch offers is the BEC feature comes standard. The logic behind Rcexl's strategy to supply them without that, preferring DIY Bec instructions instead, makes no sense at all....

Regarding the OP's question, agree there are better ways.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 AM
dirtybird

True but the IBEC replaces other parts that can also fail. I held your opinions about the IBEC for a very long time but decided to try the Tech Aero unit when I heard such positive reports about it's performance. I have been more than pleased and now have them in every gas powered plane I own. I'm in my third season using them now with zero problems. I had more problems than that maintaining separate ignition batteries and switches. So for me, the reliability factor is a trade off for convenience with some added safety features (cut off) and the Tech Aero has not disappointed me in any way.
The only part it replaces is a y connector. I rate a passive device over an active device any day.
But its your money. I guess you can spend it anyway you like.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rye, yes you can just use a Y and it will work just fine with the 6v and DLE ignition. I am as Truckracer and use the Tech-Aero for the same reasons as he stated.
I would also like to ask,Why are others argueing with anyone's opinion? Seriously, it is an opinion and can be taken or left at the OP's discretion. It seems these days so many argue another's opinion than simply offer up theirs as if they are not sure enough on their opinion to let it stand.
If you like or don't like certain thing's go your own way but have the confidence in your way to not argue against another's.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Old habits die hard, and the idea of using only two separate batteries for ignition and radio is one of them. I've been flying an airplane with one battery for ignition and the radio, and no IBEC, for two years now with zero problems. I agree a better setup would be to use the Tech Aero unit, but at $40.00 they are a bit pricey it seems to me. (But I'm pretty cheap sometimes!)

AV8TOR
Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 AM
acerc

All of my plane's are set-up with one battery. Well, the normal one's anyway, the giant Pitts has three. I do use the IBEC though but that is my choice. Is it a necessity absolutely not, I did not use them to start with. But one day my throttle servo stuck 3/4 open and it would have been really nice to have been able to shut it off rather than fly around for forty five minutes. I went with the IBEC and reduced my tank size as well. The tank size was another carry over from the Nitro days and was severely oversized for gas.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by acerc
Rye, yes you can just use a Y and it will work just fine with the 6v and DLE ignition. I am as Truckracer and use the Tech-Aero for the same reasons as he stated.
I would also like to ask,Why are others argueing with anyone's opinion? Seriously, it is an opinion and can be taken or left at the OP's discretion. It seems these days so many argue another's opinion than simply offer up theirs as if they are not sure enough on their opinion to let it stand.
If you like or don't like certain thing's go your own way but have the confidence in your way to not argue against another's.
I have always supported that we engage in a hobby where there are many ways of doing something right. Different perhaps, but still right for the individual. Most of us are also smart enough to know when our way is less than desirable or adequate so we change our ways when necessary. And ..... is it just a hobby!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 AM
acerc

I have always supported that we engage in a hobby where there are many ways of doing something right. Different perhaps, but still right for the individual. Most of us are also smart enough to know when our way is less than desirable or adequate so we change our ways when necessary. And ..... is it just a hobby!
I agree wholeheartedly. I am not saying there is not many ways of getting to the same end, there is. I just don't see a point in arguing one's own opinion as if it was the only one. And no, it's not just a hobby. It's a way of life!! LOL!!
Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

I make my own a123 packs up and just solder in two output leads for the RX and ignition,but I am using 2.4.The only reason I don't use a IBEC is, one more part that could go bad... But the biggest is I am to CHEAP.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:37 PM
dirtybird

If you look at the initial post he says his way is a better way. Its not.
1)Its more expensive.
2) Its less reliable
3) It wastes battery power.
On the plus side, it includes an engine shut off but this $10 item will provide that if you think you need it.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2804

Last edited by dirtybird; 06-10-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: link got lost
Old 06-10-2015, 03:19 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtybird
If you look at the initial post he says his way is a better way. Its not.
1)Its more expensive.
2) Its less reliable
3) It wastes battery power.
On the plus side, it includes an engine shut off but this $10 item will provide that if you think you need it.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2804
Do as you want. No skin off my nose either way. I would suggest caution when trying to spread your own unsubstantiated beliefs

I helped Ed develop the TA IBEC 6 years ago. It has gone through a couple revisions to improve the RFI filtering even more than the previous versions to handle 72 MHz systems that were at least 20 years old. My 10x on 72 Meg and 12X on 2.4 Gig didn't have any issue running the original prototype unit that we hand wired. It still works fine today with its older filtering modules IN MY radios. I spread the good news and from the look of things some heard.

The IBEC is no more or less prone to failure than any second battery and second switch. I could argue that the battery is the most failure prone device on a plane and the second switch certainly is another source of possible problems, but I won't. You make your own judgements there. The IBEC does not use a second switch; it's one switch that powers the airborne system, period. If that fails, your plane is in deep yogurt....

No, the TA IBEC does not ""waste"" battery power of any significance; your CDI will use whatever it needs to drive ignition. Whether that comes from a second battery or from an IBEC is irrelevant to the CDI and the spark plug. It sips a very small amount of battery power to filter RFI noise on the order of about 0.05% of what the CDI needs to drive the plug

An 1800 ma Lipo or Lion pack will run the CDI and the RX on a typical 6-7 servo 10-15 lb plane set-up for about 75 minutes. The voltage will drop to about 7.55 volts. I stop flying when the pack voltage drops there eventhough the nominal voltage for a lipo is 7.4V.

There are several other advantages to the TA IBEC but you can read about them on Ed's site so I won't bore you. A Y to the battery pack, with all due respect, does not compare...

As far as the 40$ price, heck man, what price do you put on a 2500$ airplane which depends on this gizmo doing its thing?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by rye
hi
can i use a 6 volt battery for the engine gas dle 20 and the reciver off a y set up thanks
rye- you didn't mention your switch configuration....that is as important as the decision to use a "Y" or not. Generally, folks that do *NOT* used one of the IBEC units, simply use two switches...one to the Rx, and one to the Ignition, although THAT configuration does not permit remote engine ignition kill capability, which many, many experienced fliers believe is absolutely essential, however it is done (servo controlled choke, full 'off' idle cutoff, or electronic RX-controlled via transmitter switch like theRC excel and the Tech Aero IBEC).

If using a Y, and *wanting* to have remote ignition kill, you pretty much have to use an electronic switch controlled by a receiver channel actuated from the Tx.
I think most who have responded here already would wholeheartedly agree that an accepted "best practice" is to have the TX operated kill.

As others have said - there are lots of ways to set these up that work very well. I just thought I should mention the switch configuration because in my opinion, that is as important as the to Y or not to Y consideration.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 PM
ahicks

Bob, you make a point worth reinforcing. Put me on the list of guys that wont fly a gasser without a transmitter controlled switch. Not only are they a huge asset when it comes to safety (consider a gasser in the pits with the receiver switch left on - and somebody walking up to it to check out your prop), when you get used to having one, it's like power windows in your car. They're convenient....

Why can't people discuss options without the conversation being called an argument?
Old 06-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by ahicks
Bob, you make a point worth reinforcing. Put me on the list of guys that wont fly a gasser without a transmitter controlled switch. Not only are they a huge asset when it comes to safety (consider a gasser in the pits with the receiver switch left on - and somebody walking up to it to check out your prop), when you get used to having one, it's like power windows in your car. They're convenient....

Why can't people discuss options without the conversation being called an argument?
Al, I certainly support your use of the Rcexl opto as it works 100% for you. LIkewise, I'm sure you could care less what device I prefer. The point is that none of us are arguing for the device we prefer. We just present what we use and others can use what they prefer or nothing at all. There are many options here and most serve the purpose of the OP's question. I think I'm out of this thread as there is really nothing to be gained by further posts.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:06 PM
dirtybird

I suspected you might have personal interest in the device.It belongs in the 72 era.
If it has a regulator it is a power waster. Thats how they perform their function. They throw away part of the power.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:17 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have used an IBEC in a pair of 20cc powered warbirds for about 8 years now with no issues at all. They work. That being said, given the roughly 2 ounce weight of an 1,100 mah LIFE battery, dual batteries is viable and cheaper. If you want to use a 700 battery, which weighs about an ounce, weight is even more insignificant.

I hope everybody pays attention to ahicks observation. Opinions are the reason for these forums and should not be an opportunity for argument and personal attacks. If you are so inclined, there are more serious issues involved. Find another outlet.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:15 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

Originally Posted by rye
hi
Simple answer, yes. FWIW I started using Tech Aero ibec's when they first became available and have used them along with A123 bats. since they came on line in every gasser I have owned which at my age are now too numerous to count or it could be CRS. Never a failure and I believe much safer. YMMV.

Last edited by Whiskey Bravo; 06-11-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM
dirtybird

Wow
Old 06-11-2015, 09:10 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

I tend to just state my opinion or offer my advice, and then "back out" and let everyone fight. Not worth the grief, and whatever you do, don't ever mention O*I*L here in the forum!

AV8TOR
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
I tend to just state my opinion or offer my advice, and then "back out" and let everyone fight. Not worth the grief, and whatever you do, don't ever mention O*I*L here in the forum!

AV8TOR
Well, Oil doesn't need further discussion, once everyone learns about Pennzoil Air Cooled @ 30:1. Of course, there's always an errant AMSOIL user here or there...."the Un Enlightened"...
Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Well, Oil doesn't need further discussion, once everyone learns about Pennzoil Air Cooled @ 30:1. Of course, there's always an errant AMSOIL user here or there...."the Un Enlightened"...
Bob and av8tor, after mentioning oil, you guys need to go stand in the corner and take a "time out".
Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 PM
ahicks

What....
I use oil in ALL of my engines!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.