Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

quadra , wont start ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quadra , wont start ?

compression , fuel draw, spark , no pop ? I Think its the CH ignition battery , 4.8 500mah, because the more
you flip it the less and less spark you get . the ignition was checked out by adrian at CH , SO its fine.
i think i ought to try a 1200 mah battery , then i will get a fat blue spark for a longer time . everything else
looks fine , any help apreciated.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your problem may actually be compression? You need to use a Automotive compression tester and the compression should be greater than 120# after a dozen flips.

Another problem often overlooked is the skirt of the piston on the intake side if it is one of the piston ported variety. With a lot of piston clearance on the intake side they just will not generate enough crankcase vacuum.

In a old engine the crankshaft seals leak and the engine will be bad about drawing fuel through the carb and on top of the piston.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 AM
WhiteRook

your probly right , on most 2 strokes compression is big . i have a 100 B also , i put new rings in the 75 , but they
both need new heads , i'm betting. their pioneer saw heads basically , the 75 is a p-51 head and the 100 is a p-60 head
Old 08-04-2015, 03:44 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Switching to a higher ma pack will not increase the spark unless the smaller pack has a dead/dying cell or the ignition box is extremely power hungry.
Don't forget the plug. I once chased a no-start on a Quadra. I had spark with the plug outside the engine but could not get it to pop. Ran through all of the tests; comp, coil, carb, and finally installed a new plug and it fired right up.
I would install a new plug and a new/known-good battery.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:49 AM
WhiteRook

thanks for the tip flyinwal, i'll try it