Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RC 35cc Gas engine Plane Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:45 AM
maverickd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool RC 35cc Gas engine Plane Cooling

To all you experienced pilots out there...

I am looking for some advice regarding my plan to use fibre glass ducts I have made to cool my 35cc DLE motor?

I have made ducts that will redirect the airflow directly onto the cylinder head of the 35cc DLE the configuration of the cowl has three air inlets the bottom is basically right in front of the cylinder, but the two other air intakes are allowing air to move past the engine. So I have made these ducts that will direct the air right onto the cylinder head from each side.
I have read a few posts were the 1 to 3 rule has been mentioned as well the standard outlet looks a bit small to me.

My question is would this work and provide enough cooling? this is my first gas plane build and would like to know what other suggestions are out there?

Kind Regards

Maverick D
This is the Sun Sky Extra 330s I am working on...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_073926_resized.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	2112858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150802-WA0001_resized.jpeg
Views:	740
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	2112859   Click image for larger version

Name:	1379444244.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	2112860  
Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The crankcase provides a fair amount of cooling as well. Rather than ducts I have found using a baffle to direct the air over the engine and crankcase pretty efficient. The openings on the cowl look very small for cooling.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 08-05-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just blowing air toward the engine may not help. Air will always take the "easy way" around the engine, so you need to force as much air to flow through the cooling fins as possible. Baffles are the way to do this. https://youtu.be/bfSv0V7r4HA
Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Whatever you do concentrate on ducting or baffling the airflow so it flows THROUGH the cooling fins. Directing air in the general direction of the fins may not do the job. Baffles usually direct airflow so it is forced to go through the fins and not escape around them. The DLE35 with its rear mounted muffler is known to have issues with carb overheating in tight cowls so be sure there is some fresh airflow to the carb area. It doesn't take much but you'll know in a hurry if the carb is running too hot as the engine will be hard to adjust, it may run rough at times and it may be difficult to restart when hot. Some users fashion a heat shield plate that mounts to the firewall and extends forward between the muffler and carb. Then there are users who do nothing and their engines run perfectly with no special baffles, other cooling aids or precautions. Its still good to be aware there may be cooling problems and this is not just limited to a specific brand engine as all engines are happier when running within normal temp ranges.

You may want to do some searches for baffle ideas and cooling suggestions as there have been many other threads over the years.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 PM
maverickd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Guys

the advise is appreciated, I will monitor the engine performance and heat and see if I need to make the change to the baffle solution, I understand that the carb will need fresh air.
I have designed the ducts to be as close as possible to the fins of the cylinder and should get cool air flow from all three air intakes. I will look at the heat shield between the carb and the muffler.

Thank you everyone I will have a closer look at other ideas for cooling.

Kind Regards

Maverickd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150806-WA0002_resized.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	2113101