Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

new to zdz 80 super, hints & tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:58 AM
AdamsBro
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking new to zdz 80 super, hints & tips?

hello all,
I recently purchased a 33% yak with a zdz super 80 on it. after doing some research here on the forums it has come to my attention that they can be a bit tricky to start. i know the guy i bought the plane from very well and he has said the engine hasn't given him any troubles in that respect. I will follow his instructions on starting and if that doesn't work come up with something else. Just looking for little hints and tricks from any of the zdz guys out here. Like what oil to run, what is the best ratio. possibly other starting procedures so I have some other techniques in my "toolbox" when I am at the field. also as far as gas probably a good idea to run ethanol free, but what octane, I know on all of my other gas engines no-ethanol 87 octane is all I used to run, same story for zdz? Thanks for any advice I really appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The ZDZ recommends high test gas. 93 or better.
If it had the ignition that came with it, it has a shutoff if the prop has not been turned for 1 minute.
So cycle your power just before you try to start it.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM
AdamsBro
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks dirtybird , good information to know!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ZDZ used to be a 50:1 oil mix but that was changed to 40:1 some years ago. Make SURE you choke is capable of closing all the way or you'll never get it started. I'm not sure what the previous owner might have told you about starting but I'll give you what I do with my ZDZ's. Also while the manuals say 93 octane, you can't get that reading here in the USA. It comes from the fact that Europe uses one method of rating gasoline of the two being Research and Method. In the USA our gasoline is rated by adding the two ratings and divide by two. So Premium gasoline in the USA is 91 Octane but it's fine for the ZDZ 'cause it's the same thing as 93 Octane in Europe.

I run mine dry at the end of the day so the next time out you have to pull fuel all the way from the tank. I've found that it seems to pull fuel better if the throttle is wide open and the choke closed. After ten flips, I close the throttle down to just above idle and continue to flip the prop for an additional three to five times or until you hear what I call "the snotty nose" sound meaning it's wet at the carb. If you do not get it wet, it won't start. After hearing the noise, choke off, ignition on and usually within three flips they'll go. As noted above, if it sits for a minute without moving the prop past the sensor the ignition will shut off.

What I call the "DA method" does not work well at all with these engines. If you close the choke, turn on the ignition and flip it 'till I pops like a DA, it'll be flooded pretty good and you'll get a sore arm trying to get it going again. If the engine is the least bit warm, one flip with no choke and ignition on, it should go. If it's cooled off, one flip choke on ignition off, then choke off, ignition on and they'll usually go the first flip after that process. Cold engine or weather, you'll need three choked flips to get it going. Remember that if you forget to turn the ignition off while choking it and it pops, it's flooded....

You're 'gonna LOVE the throttle response of these rotary valve engines and that big 80 will idle so smooth compared to a DA-85 that you won't believe the difference.....

Last edited by Zeeb; 08-11-2015 at 08:47 AM.