Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah-62 reduction drive starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 AM
Thai-fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah-62 reduction drive starting

I recently aquired a Giant Scale Tiger Moth powered by a Zenoah G62 with reduction drive. The kit and power train came from Toni Clark. I am very familiar with large scale models and petrol engines but this is my first experience with the reduction drive. Once started it sounds awesome and flys beautifully but.......it is very hard to start. The engine starts perfectly when removed from the reduction drive unit but once it is all back together it is difficult to get a decent flick of the prop to get the engine to fire. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or a few tips on starting?
Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Try to find some youtube videos. Use their search engine and type in the name of the drive manufacturer.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:37 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thai-fly
I recently aquired a Giant Scale Tiger Moth powered by a Zenoah G62 with reduction drive. The kit and power train came from Toni Clark. I am very familiar with large scale models and petrol engines but this is my first experience with the reduction drive. Once started it sounds awesome and flys beautifully but.......it is very hard to start. The engine starts perfectly when removed from the reduction drive unit but once it is all back together it is difficult to get a decent flick of the prop to get the engine to fire. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or a few tips on starting?
Here is a link to a distributer for Toni Clark and a description of the plane and engine combi you have. Maybe contact them about the starting issue? Does it have the spring recoil starter? Could it be fitted with and electric starter? With this engine is it important to locate the flywheel way off of TDC to get the flywheel magnets properly over the coil? Good luck.

http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/sopwithpup.html

Sincerely, Richard
Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 AM
Thai-fly

Thanks Richard. I will check with the supplier to see if they can help with a few tips. It isnt possible to fit a spring recoil starter as the lower gear pulley is attached to the back of the crank shaft and it is just too tight a fit for an electric starter to be installed. We have already changed the flywheel for a heavier version to try to get the engine to tun over with a little more momentum and it helped.Maybe an even heavier one is an option we might try?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Thai-fly
Thanks Richard. I will check with the supplier to see if they can help with a few tips. It isnt possible to fit a spring recoil starter as the lower gear pulley is attached to the back of the crank shaft and it is just too tight a fit for an electric starter to be installed. We have already changed the flywheel for a heavier version to try to get the engine to tun over with a little more momentum and it helped.Maybe an even heavier one is an option we might try?
Is the engine fitted with CDI? If not, maybe that would help. My G23 with CDI starts very easily with just an easy flip after priming. Good luck,
Sincerely, Richard
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 AM
Thai-fly

Yes, it is fitted with CDI which has been checked and is working correctly
Old 08-26-2015, 04:49 AM
wildbills21

I use this same set up on my 1/3 scale BUSA Fokker D VII. Full throttle full choke. Flip it until it pops, it is a very suttle pop. It's not like the engine fires like without the reduction drive, just a pop. return the throttle to idle and turn off the choke. 3 or 4 flips later the engine will fire. In terms of flipping, this set up needs a flipped aggressively, much more than a gasser without the reduction drive. Since this motor will have 2.5 compression strokes per revolution the compression stokes change. I found you can get a really good flip when the prop is at the 9 or 10 o clock position and flip down. Hope this helps.

Wild Bill

Last edited by wildbills21; 08-26-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:03 AM
wildbills21

I guess I did not read close enough, you are talking about the Toni clark reduction, mine is the Schludnt. I believe the Toni clark reduction is a 1.75 to 1.
Wild Bill
Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by wildbills21
I use this same set up on my 1/3 scale BUSA Fokker D VII. Full throttle full choke. Flip it until it pops, it is a very suttle pop. It's not like the engine fires like without the reduction drive, just a pop. return the throttle to idle and turn off the choke. 3 or 4 flips later the engine will fire. In terms of flipping, this set up needs a flipped aggressively, much more than a gasser without the reduction drive. Since this motor will have 2.5 compression strokes per revolution the compression stokes change. I found you can get a really good flip when the prop is at the 9 or 10 o clock position and flip down. Hope this helps.

Wild Bill
Have you tried an off-board electric starter, like a Sullivan? With the reduction drive, it should not be that hard to turn over. Maybe even a standard starter. If not, a 24 volt one or a heavy duty one. Even an electric drill-motor might do it. Just what I would try. Good luck. Over and out.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 08-27-2015, 09:30 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Try this:
http://www.millerrcproducts.com/pers...reduction.html
Old 08-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Thai-fly

Thankyou all for your input and apologies for the delay. A combination off all of your suggestions has almost fixed the problem!