Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Six bolt hubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Six bolt hubs

I hate six bolt hubs. I just spent the better part of two days fitting a prop on one. I have a drill guide and a drill press and something always goes wrong. I am not a machinist. My G62 has a single bolt hub, why does a 44cc twin need six bolts?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I hate six bolt hubs. I just spent the better part of two days fitting a prop on one. I have a drill guide and a drill press and something always goes wrong. I am not a machinist. My G62 has a single bolt hub, why does a 44cc twin need six bolts?
Each time you drill a hole with the guide, put a rod or bolt the size of the hole in the hole through the guide and prop. That way there will be no buildup of off location holes.

OR, buy a single bolt adapter. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 08-27-2015, 02:37 PM
dirtybird

I sure would like to buy a single bolt adapter but this engine (RCS 44B2 (Moki)) has been out of production for many years
Old 08-27-2015, 03:07 PM
spaceworm

I sure would like to buy a single bolt adapter but this engine (RCS 44B2 (Moki)) has been out of production for many years
Would any one of these from CH Ignitions work? An inquiry to them should tell you the bolt circle diameter and screw size intended to secure the adapter to the original hub. Good luck.

[h=5]DL 30 Single Bolt Stud 10mm Thread[/h]Availability: In stock
View $29.95
Add to cart

[h=5]DL 50/55 Single Bolt Stud 3/8-24...[/h]Availability: Order Now
View $29.95
Add to cart

[h=5]DL 50/55 Single Bolt Stud 10mm...[/h]Availability: In stock
View $29.95

[h=5][/h]
[h=5]Single Bolt Stud 3/8-24 Thread[/h]Availability: Order Now
View $25.00
Add to cart

[h=5]Single Bolt Stud 3/8-24 Thread[/h]Availability: In stock
View $25.00
Add to cart

Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM
dirtybird

One of those would probably work if I could saw off the center pin. Its about 10mm dia. Its a bit more than a Dremmel job
Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Drill the holes oversize. They are not a critical measurement. The device is a clamp. As long as the center hole is precise, the prop will sit properly.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:04 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do the same as Lifer, after drilling with the guide, remove it and run the next larger drill through. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:53 AM
dirtybird

I did that but with the plastic props I happened to have the back side of the prop has been relieved. So if you happen to drill a hole next to one of the webs you have to go in with the Dremmel and grind out the drill path. All that takes time.
On a wood prop that works OK
But then you still have to put in six bolts every time you want to change props.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:37 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Played heck getting a sgl bolt adapter for my bully 35. Cyberwolf made one for me. Saw where TruTurn also will make one as needed.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:24 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Use a very high drill speed, and go slowly as you drill. It should chew right through those webs that way. And as mentioned, put a bolt the same size as the hole in each time, and tighten it with a nut to maintain alignment. To answer your question, adapting it to a single prop nut is entirely acceptable.

AV8TOR
Old 08-30-2015, 06:48 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I did that but with the plastic props I happened to have the back side of the prop has been relieved. So if you happen to drill a hole next to one of the webs you have to go in with the Dremmel and grind out the drill path. All that takes time.
On a wood prop that works OK
But then you still have to put in six bolts every time you want to change props.
It sounds like you are drilling an APC? If so these are NOT designed to be drilled for multi bolt hubs and could fail. If this is the case, get the correct prop for multi bolt hubs from the start. This in its self will make the drilling much easier. Then when putting the drill guide on the prop use thin double sided tape. This will keep the guide from moving around. Use a new sharp high speed bit. After drilling with the guide re drill with a slightly larger bit. It usually takes me about 15 min to drill a prop. IMO going to a single bolt hub may be more work as I beleive the single stud is going to be larger then 10mm. This is going to require you to ream out the center hole on every prop and you have to be accurate as that is the only thing centering the prop.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:32 AM
dirtybird

Its a Master Airscrew Classic. I guess I should throw it away and get a wood prop.
The center stud is 10MM. I have a stepped ream that I got from Boeing surplus that does a very good job of reaming the center hole.
Too bad I didn't get a set of Boeings high speed drills.I will have to go to Home Depot and see what I can find.
I still hate six bolt hubs.