Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Can I use A123s with this G-62 ignition?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Can I use A123s with this G-62 ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:19 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sony makes some interesting new cells, Type VTC3,4,5. The 3 is 1800 MAH, the 4 is 2100 and the 5 is 2600. They are about 1/2 the size of A123's and they are 3.7 V ea the same as what we call LiPO. In fact they are the same chemistry. as our LiPO. Since they are in an aluminum can they are not as flammable as a LIPO.
I made up a 4cell VTC4 pack and used it to power an electric of mine. I got 40amps for a 5 minute flight but they got quite hot. The pack is about 30% less weight than an equivalent LIPO.
I got 8 of the 4's for $40. The new VTC5's cost $13ea.
They are unprotected cells. Sony will not sell them to you. They are intended to be assembled in a pack with protection circuitry such as in a laptop.
You can buy them from your local electronic cigarette shop. Don't ask where they got them