Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Idle screw and spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Booyah6973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle screw and spring

I'm new to gas engines and I've been told by members in my hobby club to remove the idle screw and the coiled spring that wraps around the throttle body so I don't burn my throttle servo. Is this correct?
Any feedback would be apprecaited
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	2127982  

Last edited by Booyah6973; 10-27-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:02 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no need for the idle-stop screw. Some new engine carbs have them,some don't.
The return spring issue is something you will get many answers to. If you leave it on you will always have a positive return to idle or closed throttle in case your servo or linkage fails. I don't see it causing a good servo to fail. I have some engines with and some without the spring.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:33 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
There is no need for the idle-stop screw. Some new engine carbs have them,some don't.
The return spring issue is something you will get many answers to. If you leave it on you will always have a positive return to idle or closed throttle in case your servo or linkage fails. I don't see it causing a good servo to fail. I have some engines with and some without the spring.
Totally Agree +++++
Old 10-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

There have been several tests performed where it was shown the servo power and current required to pull against the throttle spring was barely above the idle current of the servo. In other words, the torque required from the servo to pull against the spring is extremely small. You can disconnect the spring if you wish but this is one of those cases where there are numerous reasons to keep the spring in place and few reasons to remove it.

Regarding the idle stop screw, remove it as in most cases it just gets in the way and serves no purpose on a rc gas engine. Many companies remove this screw as standard practice before shipping new engines.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:54 AM
TJC333

If you disconnect the spring don't remove it. It will cause alignment problems.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:58 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TJC333
If you disconnect the spring don't remove it. It will cause alignment problems.
This guy is referring to the butterfly return spring.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:37 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Leave the return spring connected, or disconnect (much debate/your call), but which ever way you go, leave it in place! Do not remove the spring.

Much debate over the connected vs.disconnected call, but everyone agrees that you should leave the spring in place.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM
dubs1946

Leave it connected it stops the possibility of vibration it gives a positive push against the connector.
Dave.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Booyah6973

Thanks a lot for everyone's reply. I will take the idle screw out and disconnect the spring but will leave it there. Thanks again for the supportive feedback !
happy landings ✌
Old 10-28-2015, 06:18 PM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by Booyah6973
Thanks a lot for everyone's reply. I will take the idle screw out and disconnect the spring but will leave it there. Thanks again for the supportive feedback !
happy landings ✌
I think you are making a mistake. If you leave the spring in place you can just pull the throttle open and let the spring close it. That way you can use just a small cable as you don't have to push it closed.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:08 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I say a throttle kill switch covers the need for a return spring but leave in place. I have five different ways how to kill the engine on my gas airplanes.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:30 AM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by CARS II
I say a throttle kill switch covers the need for a return spring but leave in place. I have five different ways how to kill the engine on my gas airplanes.
Closing the throttle on linkage failure is not the reason I leave the spring in place. With the spring in place and using a cable to pull it open results in a more precise throttle control. There is no slop in the linkage
Old 10-29-2015, 10:56 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Closing the throttle on linkage failure is not the reason I leave the spring in place. With the spring in place and using a cable to pull it open results in a more precise throttle control. There is no slop in the linkage
I agree 100% and with less slop it helps keep the throttle plate edge wearing out the throttle bore.

Capt,n
Old 10-29-2015, 01:59 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, count me in, I may give that a try in the near future I'm open to new ideas ( at least new to me )

Last edited by CARS II; 10-29-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtybird
This is an interesting idea. Do you think it would be just as effective to leave the spring in place and use a pushrod with ball links on the ends instead of a cable? Wouldn't the spring eliminate any
slop in the linkage of a pushrod-based linkage just as well as using a cable?

-Ed B.

Last edited by Flyfast1; 11-02-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Booyah6973

For my throttle setup I'm using a 4-40 rod with 4-40 hd ball links on both ends. I also have a #4 washer atop the ball link under the head of the screw to make sure the link doesn't pop off lol. The alignment to the throttle arm is ok. I took the spring off completely as well as the idle screw and seems to be fine. Will test this weekend at the field to be sure. Thanks again for all the advice and thoughts
Old 11-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

With the spring removed from the throttle shaft, we'll be looking forward to your posts in about a year wondering why the engine won't idle well any more ..... as the throttle plate wears away at the throttle bore near the shaft. That spring serves a purpose whether it is connected or not. Removal isn't good. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I like to leave the idle screw in place I just back it off so it has no effect in the model and when I want to use it on the test stand i can wind it in to adjust/set the idle. I can always use it to hold the engine at a set rpm on the test stand.

Dennis