Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

First (2) giant scale planes purchased... now which engine should go where??

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

First (2) giant scale planes purchased... now which engine should go where??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First (2) giant scale planes purchased... now which engine should go where??

These projects are a year or two away due to budgetary restrictions (being 24 years old) but I wanted to get some opinions on engine choices. These two airplanes have been on my list for years so budget "will" be no issue when the time comes... So I am really looking for the best power/scale sound combo I can get. I don't need overpowered but more than stock...And I will put a muffler on the engines if there are good options in the market.

1. Great Planes Waco YMF-5. I was thinking about the RCGF 21cc Twin. On both planes I do not want to go glow powered and I thought this would be a good engine for the price $339.00

2. Hanger 9 1/4 Super Cub. I originally was going with a Saito 182 twin, but knowing how much Nitro costs I started leaning towards a Zenoah G-26.

Any help, or build suggestions are appreciated!
Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since these are your first gasser planes I would keep it simple and use the same make/model engine on both planes and stay away from a twin for now
The G26 has been around for a long time ,runs forever and can be found hanging on the front of many Cubs. If I had two G26's lying around I would use them on each plane. If I had to purchase new engines I would get two Evolution 33GX's or two DLE30's and put one on each plane.
Also, don't run them without mufflers !
Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 AM
HitecMan

Thank you Walenda! I agree on the twin being to complex for a first time gas engine flyer. What I meant by being open to mufflers is, If there is an aftermarket muffler to attach on one of these motors for the correct sound I would be interested in purchasing it. I dont have any of these motors laying around so it would be a purchase. So would you go with the DLE-30 or the G-26? Not too interested in the evolution.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:06 AM
flyinwalenda

The Cub usually needs nose weight so a heavier motor like the G26 works well.
I would get two DLE30's and two wrap around Pitts mufflers (Bisson, etc..) as they sound better than the stock side mounts and you don't have to cut the cowls as much.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 AM
HitecMan

So I have made my decision (with your help Walenda) GP Waco gets a DLE 30 CC and a Bisson Pitts, and the Supercub gets a Zenoah G-26 with a bisson pitts.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:55 PM
flyinwalenda

Great ! Both planes should get pulled around nicely ! If your radio set-up has a spare channel consider an optic-kill switch for the ignition. They are great for safety plus if you have a throttle issue you can kill the engine and land instead of flying until the tank runs dry.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:53 PM
boothg-3

Good choices I have all three engines
the evo gasser on a hanger 9 1/4 scale cub,i,m not real happy with this engine on this plane , the g26 is virtually install and forget
the dle does have more power you can use it on the bipe
Old 01-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Or just get the DLE 35RA's ans save some money over 30's with wrap arounds.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:17 AM
HitecMan

This is on my wishlist now! I will be setting all of my gas engines up with these switches!

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Great ! Both planes should get pulled around nicely ! If your radio set-up has a spare channel consider an optic-kill switch for the ignition. They are great for safety plus if you have a throttle issue you can kill the engine and land instead of flying until the tank runs dry.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 AM
Joespeeder

Hi HitecMan,

Take a look at the NGK 38cc Gas Four Stroke. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ke_Engine.html

It would give you a four stroke sound, good power, it's gas, and is not too expensive. If it fits the air frames it may be worth a look.

Have fun and enjoy the build.

Joe
Old 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
HitecMan

Joe! Now you are really throwing a wrench into the situation. I was so set going the easy route but WOW WHAT A GORGEOUS ENGINE. Great price, good sound, and 4 stroke?!?! Man... now I have some thinking to do... Have you heard from anyone that owns one of these motors?

Originally Posted by Joespeeder
Hi HitecMan,

Take a look at the NGK 38cc Gas Four Stroke. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ke_Engine.html

It would give you a four stroke sound, good power, it's gas, and is not too expensive. If it fits the air frames it may be worth a look.

Have fun and enjoy the build.

Joe
Old 01-06-2016, 07:51 PM
the pope

Theres a few threads on that engine if you do a search . From what I can gather they had a few teething probs but it seems that most are happy with the engines now . To throw more into the mix there is the OS gf40 and the OS gf30 as well . Cheers
Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 AM
Joespeeder

HiTechMan,

I have a NGH 17cc that I used in a Great Planes Stuka until I stuffed it due to dumb thumbs. The plane and engine were working perfectly but the guy on the sticks(me) decided the ground was lower in my head than in reality !!

As the pope said there are many threads and a few teething problems but those seem to be worked out. My engine was an early one and worked just perfectly. A local guru I had helping me said it was the easiest 2 stroke to tune he had ever worked on... Not sure why but he liked it and was surprised.

NGH four strokes are slightly heavier than the high end engines, and not high performance, but in my limited experience very reliable. I tend to think of them as great workhorse low cost engines. If I had a project they fit that bill for I wouldn't hesitate to get another NGH. I enjoyed mine.

There are videos of ESM Vals flying the NGH 38cc four stroke using a three blade prop as an example of a great combo. The Val doesn't need over the top HP and the NGH offed a low cost 4 stoke with good power. I mention this as your projects seem to be in the same vain. You don't need over the top power and the NGH is worth a look.

What ever you choose be sure to post updates as you go and enjoy the builds !!

Joe

Here's the GP Waco with a NGH 38cc fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXHhjW46Uw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Joespeeder; 01-07-2016 at 05:26 PM.