Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Fuel tank foams. Any advice? just have a lot of foam or bubbles in rank. Any advice o

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuel tank foams. Any advice? just have a lot of foam or bubbles in rank. Any advice o

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Booyah6973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank foams. Any advice? just have a lot of foam or bubbles in rank. Any advice o

I have a 50cc Pau extra sp with a Taildragger rc 24oz rtf tank ( fourtitude equal).
when I run the engine I notice when it gets about half tank it starts to foam or lots of bubbles lol. I know this is not good and am looking for a remedy.
I do have 1/4 inch of foam underneath as well as zip tied tank down in two spots. The engine runs fine just wanting some advice on curing this

Last edited by Booyah6973; 02-11-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The easiest cure to insure constant fuel flow to the engine is to use a genuine Walbro in tank felt filtered clunk. Don't use one of the knockoff clunks as some have been known to shed fibers. This stops any bubbles from getting into the fuel line and it will insure you pick up every drop of fuel the clunk can touch.

Gasoline fuels don't normally foam excessively or hold bubbles like glo fuel does so foaming problems are rare with gas engines. You might make sure the tank floor is solid in the airplane and check to see the prop and spinner are well balanced and running true. Maybe change from zip ties to Velcro and adding a bit more foam under the tank might help. Maybe the particular oil or gasoline you're using is prone to foam. Does it foam if you shake the fuel jug?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Solid advise Truck. Only thing I may add is to run fuel barbs and clamps at each fuel line connection.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
The easiest cure to insure constant fuel flow to the engine is to use a genuine Walbro in tank felt filtered clunk. Don't use one of the knockoff clunks as some have been known to shed fibers. This stops any bubbles from getting into the fuel line and it will insure you pick up every drop of fuel the clunk can touch.

Gasoline fuels don't normally foam excessively or hold bubbles like glo fuel does so foaming problems are rare with gas engines. You might make sure the tank floor is solid in the airplane and check to see the prop and spinner are well balanced and running true. Maybe change from zip ties to Velcro and adding a bit more foam under the tank might help. Maybe the particular oil or gasoline you're using is prone to foam. Does it foam if you shake the fuel jug?
What he said!!!
AV8TOR
Old 02-14-2016, 11:31 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I might add to the other suggestions by recommending that you check the balance of the prop and spinner , and check prop tracking.
Any imbalance will cause too much vibration .
Old 02-14-2016, 06:53 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a vid of a fuel tank while flying around . You wouldnt beleive it unless you seen it . Found it . Cheers the pope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtbSqEtLQX4
Old 02-24-2016, 12:43 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The genuine Walbro felt klunk as Tr said, is the answer. But I avoid solidly mounting the tank. I typically suspend it in the plane using fabric straps. Regardless, the felt filter eliminates any bubbles.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:59 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1.....for sure!