Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

throttlle arm orentation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttlle arm orentation

I bought a P 51 with a Mintor 22 on it,I believe the engine is New?? not sure.

The engine is on the plane and I haveit all wired up to fly/run. But I can't tell if the throttle arm isat idle or high end?
Plus the choke has its own servo and Ican't tell which is on or off.

Can anyone tell me which way is idleand chokes off? I don't really want to take the engine off to find out.

Thanks
sticks
Old 03-18-2016, 12:02 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Choke is open when the choke arm is leaning toward the front of the engine. I believe this is a "push" open, "pull" closed. For the throttle, I would disconnect the arm at the servo. Throttle should automatically go to closed. You can then manually pull/push on the control rod to see what direction it will move. That will be the "full throttle" direction.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Stick 40

I went and checked, there is no spring on the thr. arm. but I figured it out. on the bottom is a idle set screw for the low end. there is not screw in it but that tells me the thr. is closed when back away from the prop.
Still not sure about the choke , but that should be evident when trying to start it.

you got me looking at it and we got it.

thanks for the reply, if anyone know about the choke please let me know.

sticks

Last edited by Stick 40; 03-18-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-18-2016, 01:04 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you got down to the level of seeing the throttle stop screw, you should be able to see the choke plate. Just looking at it should tell you whether it is open or closed. The plate is clearly visible at the opening of the carb.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by RBACONS
Choke is open when the choke arm is leaning toward the front of the engine. I believe this is a "push" open, "pull" closed. For the throttle, I would disconnect the arm at the servo. Throttle should automatically go to closed. You can then manually pull/push on the control rod to see what direction it will move. That will be the "full throttle" direction.
Ha, I just reread this and rbacons already told me. so I guess I am ready to go.

now for some fun getting it out doors and firing it up, I have some 30:1 fuel ready to go.

I can not see the plate, there is too much around it.

I have Zenoah 20 also, just got the elect mod. for that. I also did not get paper work with that engine. will have to ask about it also.

thanks for the help
Old 03-19-2016, 11:57 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Stick 40
I bought a P 51 with a Mintor 22 on it,I believe the engine is New?? not sure.

The engine is on the plane and I haveit all wired up to fly/run. But I can't tell if the throttle arm isat idle or high end?
Plus the choke has its own servo and Ican't tell which is on or off.

Can anyone tell me which way is idleand chokes off? I don't really want to take the engine off to find out.

Thanks
sticks
The engine must be new . If it was used it would be broken by now ! Cheers
Old 03-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by the pope
The engine must be new . If it was used it would be broken by now ! Cheers
it looks new, I could be wrong. But if I run it as a "never been run" engine I don't think that will hurt?
Old 03-20-2016, 04:14 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Stick 40
it looks new, I could be wrong. But if I run it as a "never been run" engine I don't think that will hurt?
hi there stik , nothing you do to the engine is going to be worse than its own out of round cylinder , lack of parts ,no customer service ( i think there not in business anymore but they had none when they were ) . Just use it until it blows up and use the carb ignition and chuck the rest . When u see the guy who sold it to you , kick him in the nuts . He probably didnt run it because he knew what was going to happen . Check out the flying giants thread and all will become clear . Remember your not alone I have 2 . I just spread the word when i can so others hopefully wont get burnt , Cheers
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by the pope
hi there stik , nothing you do to the engine is going to be worse than its own out of round cylinder , lack of parts ,no customer service ( i think there not in business anymore but they had none when they were ) . Just use it until it blows up and use the carb ignition and chuck the rest . When u see the guy who sold it to you , kick him in the nuts . He probably didnt run it because he knew what was going to happen . Check out the flying giants thread and all will become clear . Remember your not alone I have 2 . I just spread the word when i can so others hopefully wont get burnt , Cheers
funny, its not a big problem. I bought the plane, engine servos as a package. I did not pay a lot for it, if the engine "throws up" I won't get hurt.

I am just about ready to run it, went back and read the "sticky" on "newbies to gas " at the header of the forum. got a lot of good info and have to change some things as he did not set it up right.
I will get back if I ever get to running it.

The balsa USA stick 40 was my trainer plane, back in the day.

thanks
sticks