Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Stumped !

Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 AM
PoppaBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stumped !

if anyone can help me I would appreciate very much. I have a DLE 20 ra that’s about six months old and has been running fine up until two weeks ago . Had a flight ran fine landed , hit a bird hole broke a prop . Replaced the prop engine wouldn’t start . Did all the checks I could think of , even bought a new carb. Can get it to run now but it won’t idle , it will doa high idle then slow down and quit , or it just quits when you try to let it idle . Changed plug , replumed the fuel tank tried a friends ignition system , I’m stumped, can anyone help thanks email [email protected]
Old 05-07-2018, 12:31 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Moved to gas engine forum
Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by PoppaBob
if anyone can help me I would appreciate very much. I have a DLE 20 ra that’s about six months old and has been running fine up until two weeks ago . Had a flight ran fine landed , hit a bird hole broke a prop . Replaced the prop engine wouldn’t start . Did all the checks I could think of , even bought a new carb. Can get it to run now but it won’t idle , it will doa high idle then slow down and quit , or it just quits when you try to let it idle . Changed plug , replumed the fuel tank tried a friends ignition system , I’m stumped, can anyone help thanks email [email protected]
Did you adjust the new carb? Does it run good at wide open throttle? I don't understand "doa high idle". If you mean idles high then slows down and quits then it sounds like your low end is a bit lean. Richen by 1/8 turn, or even less.
Please let us all know when you find out solution as that may help others.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I doubt that hitting a hole would do damage to the carb. Did the plug cap make any contact with the ground? Any small impact can damage the silicone insulator inside the plug cap and make ithe engine hard to start, run rough or any number of other problems. Caps are easy to replace but it never hurts to have a spare ignition. I'd recommend buying a replacement ignition or if you can borrow a known good one from someone, try that. But small impacts are not going to damage your carb so I don't know that I would look at that direction for a problem unless there was more damage than you indicate in your first post.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

maybe his spark plug was cracked

Jim
Old 05-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
maybe his spark plug was cracked

Jim
+1, that could sure cause the problem.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:43 PM
carlgrover

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Double check your plug wire too. I nosed over a plane with a US 41 on it and scraped the plug wire. Durn thing would not hit a lick until I replaced that wire then it ran fine. All along I didn't think so much as a little scrape would hurt it. It didn't go anywhere near the copper wire either.

carl
Old 05-29-2018, 04:27 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If your plane had a sudden impact . Check the clunk line that the clunk didn't get moved to the front of the tank and pinching the line.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:15 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
If your plane had a sudden impact . Check the clunk line that the clunk didn't get moved to the front of the tank and pinching the line.
I'm betting this is the issue.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The OP mentioned that he replaced the spark plug, replumbed the tank and tried a friends ignition system, none of which helped.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:27 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by karolh
The OP mentioned that he replaced the spark plug, replumbed the tank and tried a friends ignition system, none of which helped.
Possible internal damage to the engine? Crankpin or rod bent? Happened to me.....

CR
Old 07-25-2018, 04:02 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

PoppaBob has left the building?
Old 07-25-2018, 04:09 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess so. Maybe he's just given up on it OR maybe he solved the problem and could not be bothered with informing us.