Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

First run of new engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:50 PM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First run of new engine

I have a brand new DLE 35 currantly installed in a Lanier giant scale Taylorcraft. I am new to gas engines and have had a fair amount of problems getting it started. After consulting the instruction manual and following the necessary instructions I finally got the engine started with the cowel removed. It ran a bit rough at first then it smoothed out. It ran for approx 7 min then as I quickly advanced the throttle it began running with a quick miss fire, brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr. This condition persisted at both high and low throttle but When I eventualy slowed to idle it cleaned up and ran smoothly. I am using a 4.8v 2300mha NMH 5c battery for ignition. When I checked the battery it had dropped to 4v from being fully charged after running for 7 min. My gas oil mix is 30-1 using 91 octane fuel and I have a 16oz fuel tank. Acctualy there was slightly more oil in the fuel but no smoking was detected. I checked all connections and all seem good. Would a voltage drop in the ignition battery cause it to missfire at a higher rpm? Should I be using a higher voltage battery? The manual says a higher volt battery is acceptable. I also noticed that the bolts mounting the engine to the stand offs had started to come loose, one acctually coming off. Two of the three remaing bolts were still tight. Bolts were tightened prior to start but I forgot to use locktite, valuable lesson learned here. Could loose bolts have caused the missfire? I'm scratching my head here, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are sure your battery was charge and your battery is 5 cell 4.8v . Throw it out it's no good . If your battery was charged and is 4.8v 4 cell and drops to 4 v after 7 min throw it out it's no good.
Try a good known battery and adjust the high speed needle a little either way and try again.

Last edited by A. J. Clark; 07-09-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes low voltage can make an engine run rough. I’d recommend a 5 cell Nixx battery if you must but a 2 cell Life or Lipo would be better.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Replace the battery with a known good or new battery that is fully charged and tested Tune the engine after it warms up . The bolts came loose from the rough running and lack of loctite . Loctite all engine mount bolts and muffler bolts.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If the plug is an original Chinese no name replace it with a brand name plug. I prefer Champion brand plugs myself. The NGK CM6 is a good plug as well.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 07-12-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I also have a DLE 35, new engines always give you a hard time when new, after a gallon they become manageable, try Terry's tunning method, simple and it works all the time.

www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194009

Last edited by CARS II; 07-16-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:07 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When the ign. module senses low voltage, it goes into a "stutter" or "limp" mode. Purpose being it's designed to allow you to get the plane back down on the ground without quitting completely. You'll only have about 25% power so make sure you're first approach is a good one!

Not an NiMh fan here either. Sounds like you have a dead cell in your pack - something NiMh is pretty well known for doing.