Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ50 with reed valves?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:20 AM
cuwaert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ50 with reed valves?

A buddy of mine bought on ebay a ZDZ50 with reed valves in stead of the (for zdz) usual rotating valve.
No big deal, but the engine doesn't exceed 6000 RPM (20m above sea level) with a mesjlik 22x10.
My 50RV puts out 7200 with a APC22x10 on a hobbyking canister.
One should expect at least 6400. Exhaust is a replica (read home made) of a krumscheid (50cc) canister and has served on a ZDZ50ng for 10 years.
Anybody ever encountered such a rare mutation of a ZDZ50? I can't find one.
The back plate is aparently genuin ZDZ (blue colour) with the reed valve in the middle whereas on rotating valve types it is out of centre.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 AM
cuwaert

Ok nobody heard of it. Another question, would it be possible that reed valves could influence the characteristics of an engine compared with rotating disc so that a different manifold length would be required for optimum power?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:57 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

cuwaert , If you can post a few photos of the reed valve setup it would help. In general a rotory valve engine has only a marginal rpm gain over a reed induced engine , given that both engines are in proper working condition . The torque curve might be a larger difference then the peak rpm difference.
In either case a 50cc engine at sea level that will only turn a 22x10 at 6k is either not properly tuned or mechanically deficient in some way .
Old 10-23-2018, 05:09 AM
cuwaert

Sorry no foto's available, the engine is not mine . The guy bought it on the internet and I suspect some one installed a genuine zdz backplate with reed block of which I cannot trace the type.
The engines starts very easy but a) hasn't a lot of power b)isn't very much consistent in eigther idle speed and tuning.
Anyway now winter is near, we're gonna pull it and put it on a stand for testing.