Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

For models that are not flown regularly how often do you run the engines

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

For models that are not flown regularly how often do you run the engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:10 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default For models that are not flown regularly how often do you run the engines

For your gas powered models that are not flown often, say every 4 - 6 months or so, how often if ever do you give the engines a run to keep them in good nick.

Last edited by karolh; 10-01-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:16 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Never. I start them when I plan on flying them - which could be a year or more. If they sit much longer than that, I start wondering if it isn't time to find them a new home.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:25 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every three months for two minutes using ethanol free fuel. Dan.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I never run my engines that are in storage in airframes. If an airplane sets a long time, like two years or so I will inspect everything on the engine including the carburetor and rebuild that if necessary. Many times though carbs that have set for several years just get opened, inspected and reassembled as they don’t require any parts. One reason I like gas engines is they require almost zero maintenance between uses. Very unlike glow engines where the bearings keep on rusting away while the engine sits unused. I do use ethanol free gas though which may lengthen the maintenance intervals.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:10 PM
karolh

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
Every three months for two minutes using ethanol free fuel. Dan.
This is exactly what I do but at possibly at 4 month intervals and just long enough for them to warm up. Was wondering if I was just wasting my time doing so but then maybe that's why my engines seldom give me any starting issues when its time to go flying.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:15 PM
karolh

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I never run my engines that are in storage in airframes. If an airplane sets a long time, like two years or so I will inspect everything on the engine including the carburetor and rebuild that if necessary. Many times though carbs that have set for several years just get opened, inspected and reassembled as they don’t require any parts. One reason I like gas engines is they require almost zero maintenance between uses. Very unlike glow engines where the bearings keep on rusting away while the engine sits unused. I do use ethanol free gas though which may lengthen the maintenance intervals.
All gas that is available here is ethanol blended (E10) petrol.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

When running ethanol fuel and prolonged storage is planned, some people use an after run fuel such as some of the premixed fuels you can buy in a can. They pump out the regular fuel from the tank and pump in some of this non-ethanol fuel for a short run. This gets any ethanol that might cause corrision out of the carburetor. For normal day to day or week to week use though that routine would not be necessary. From corresponding with a number of people, I believe some of the fuels around the country have far worse components in them than ethanol. Again it is just a maintenance issue.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:48 AM
karolh

I have been using regular pump 90 octane ethanol blended (E10) gasoline to which I add an ethanol stabilizer additive for the past 5 years with no adverse effects and have not noticed any difference in the performance of my engines.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I only run mine when I plan to fly them. If they set more than 6 months they get a good going over before they go in the trailer. Other than that they set with fuel in them but I do pump out the old fuel and put fresh fuel in before flying if it's been more than a month since flown