Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Do gas engines unload in the air and if so....

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Do gas engines unload in the air and if so....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:21 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Do gas engines unload in the air and if so....

Do gas engines unload in the air like their glow counterparts, and if so how much would say a 20cc be expected to gain in rpm over it's static reading at sea level.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of variables involved in how much an engine unloads . Aerodynamics of the plane and the prop are significant factors. On average I would say an engine can unload a 1000 rpms plus or minus a few hundred. An engine heavily loaded with a big prop on a high drag airframe will not unload as much as well proped engine on a low drag airframe
Old 11-23-2018, 01:33 AM
Pelle Gris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my Valach 210 fourstroke I have seen gains of more than 30% compared to static rpm. In this case from 4.600 static to 6.200-6.300 in the air.
So my guess is that you can expect gains of about 1.000 to 2.000 rpm depending on airframe and propeller.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:47 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A 20cc Great Planes Revolver is a pretty good example of a clean airflow type plane when it comes to cutting through the air. The 20cc versions are good for well over 100mph (on the level) pretty easily. Imagine a plane like that, and how little resistance there is to building up a LOT of speed in a dive for instance - and what that might do to engine rpm's.

Now imagine that same engine in a WW1 biplane/tri-plane with all of the associated rigging.

The 20cc DLE, RCGF, and VV engines all recommend ground rpm's of about 8500 max.though they are very willing to turn much higher. The issue is they don't do it very long, so setting one up for 9k for instance, not a very good plan.

I would imagine that a Revolver in a dive could be turning up well over 10k. The WW1 planes, well, they may not pick up anything in a dive....

So like CK1 says, it depends....

Last edited by ahicks; 11-23-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:06 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Agreed that it depends on the airframe. Even the 150 on my now gone Extra 330 would unload quite a bit in the air. One of the main reasons why I encourage guys to set up their gassers to get a good clean transition on the ground and then fly the engine. Make adjustments based on what you observe while flying.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:26 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Agreed that it depends on the airframe. Even the 150 on my now gone Extra 330 would unload quite a bit in the air. One of the main reasons why I encourage guys to set up their gassers to get a good clean transition on the ground and then fly the engine. Make adjustments based on what you observe while flying.
Very good advice and something that I do.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I typically put in telemetry to set the RPM when flying. Then I pull the telemetry back out once I have the prop and mixtures set.