Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Redline over Klotz

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Redline over Klotz

Hi
About to train a new radial to run smooth quiet and long.
Been a Klotz user for years. Some chatter about dissamblies looking super clean and shiny new with redline. Sounds nice but how does it lubricate bearings and cams....
Tear down guys chime in please...
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Subs
Old 01-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by karolh
Subs
Sub ?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

He "subscribed" so he gets notified of replies.

Been using Red Line in a lot of gas engines for several years along with ethanol free (which is everywhere here) and haven't messed with any bearing issues except for a motor I bought used that crapped a needle bearing but it was belching black sludge for a few weeks before the bearing went, I think he was using Amsol
Old 01-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Hyjinx

Thanks Andy.
Interesting take on Amsol. I recently picked up a DA 150 that lived on that oil. Hate to disassemble just to inspect it, but your take on Amsol seems to be a trend....
Old 01-18-2019, 08:29 AM
karolh

I have no experience with running a radial, but using Redline Racing mixed at 32:1 with ethanol based 91 octane (E10) pump gasoline which is what I now use exclusively leaves all my gas engines very clean on the inside with just a hint of relatively soft carbon on the piston crown and almost no exhaust goo.

Last edited by karolh; 01-18-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:25 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

there was alist posted her rears ago and it was Redline that had the most estres
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM
karolh

Talking

[QUOTE=the Wasp;12496299]there was alist posted her rears ago and it was Redline that had the most estres
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

LOL I did
Old 01-23-2019, 06:44 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by the Wasp
LOL I did
Thanks all
I have A ums 7-77 on the bench ready to run and a new Moki 250 just arrived here in a box.
Still not sure what to do here. I have had a second failure of a DLE 55 last week. Both times I opened it up previously it was very clean with minimal to no hard carbon deposits on the piston crown or otherwise. Ran 87 octane and Klotz Gas Burner, Fuel Rx and a splash of Seafoam.
Been happy with Klotz in my gas and nitro motors, but I have replaced a lot of bearings over the years. I have used the full product line for different applications.
Just sort if felt these bearings will only perform so long in this high stress application, and piston to cylinder issues are probably the greater concern.
Still not sure if I should jump ship and try something else with these two pricy little gems.
I need them to last😁
Gonna crap out a decision soon though. I am determined to hear the UMS soon!
Thanks Guys
Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 AM
karolh

Maybe I've been just lucky and maybe I don't burn as much fuel as some of you guys but so far I've never had to replace a bearing in my Zenoah gas engines but have done so many times when I flew only glow power.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by karolh
Maybe I've been just lucky and maybe I don't burn as much fuel as some of you guys but so far I've never had to replace a bearing in my Zenoah gas engines but have done so many times when I flew only glow power.
Thus far I had had the same experience. But I have run nitros ten to one over my gas stuff. Lots of bearing R&RS in my staitos and os engines. None so far with gassers.
i am yet to open the DLE that locked up in the air last week. Just picked up repaired case for my DL 50.
I will reassemble it before I take the 55 apart. Itching to see what let loose in the thing.
Thanks for the feedback Karolh!
Aaron

​​​​
Old 01-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Been flying gassers since the early Quadra days used nothing but Klotz then when Amsoil came out used that as well. No problems with any of the gassers using both oils.

Dennis
Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Propworn
Been flying gassers since the early Quadra days used nothing but Klotz then when Amsoil came out used that as well. No problems with any of the gassers using both oils.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis
Interesting I am wondeing if the beefer bearings in the gas engines may just plain last longer. Or maybe the larger crankcase and less moving parts.
Thanks for your input
Aaron
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Thanks Dennis
Interesting I am wondeing if the beefer bearings in the gas engines may just plain last longer. Or maybe the larger crankcase and less moving parts.
Thanks for your input
Aaron
Not sure I used Klotz and Bell Ray for years in the dirt bikes it was natural to use what I had on hand when I started running gas motors in my planes. Amsoil was recommended to me and I was happy with the product. Thats all I can tell you.

I’m really surprised the oil experts haven’t jumped all over this thread like they usually do LOL. They drag out their credentials for instance they may consult for a brand of oil, work in a research lab, have a degree in oilollogy or may have invented the latest and greatest. Sometime it gets downright vicious with name calling etc.

I look at it like everything else. If one brand was head and shoulders above all the rest why would anyone bother to buy the other manufacturers products? It’s like asking who makes the best automobile.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 01-24-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:26 AM
Hyjinx

Not sure I used Klotz and Bell Ray for years in the dirt bikes it was natural to use what I had on hand when I started running gas motors in my planes. Amsoil was recommended to me and I was happy with the product. Thats all I can tell you.

I’m really surprised the oil experts haven’t jumped all over this thread like they usually do LOL. They drag out their credentials for instance they may consult for a brand of oil, work in a research lab, have a degree in oilollogy or may have invented the latest and greatest. Sometime it gets downright vicious with name calling etc.

I look at it like everything else. If one brand was head and shoulders above all the rest why would anyone bother to buy the other manufacturers products? It’s like asking who makes the best automobile.

Dennis
Lol. Agreed Dennis.
Manufacturer claims are just that.
I am sort of prone to boots on experiences and unusual failures in the field. Dissasembly and hour meter readings tell no lies and make no unsubstansiated claims.
And as for the" know it all cause I have a degree" group. Nice for the ego of the prognistigators, somewhat sketchy on outcomes until the actual experience turns the lights on🤔
All useful if the weight is correctly applied.
Thanks
Aaron
Old 01-24-2019, 04:39 PM
karolh

[QUOTE=Propworn;12496848] I’m really surprised the oil experts haven’t jumped all over this thread like they usually do LOL. They drag out their credentials for instance they may consult for a brand of oil, work in a research lab, have a degree in oilollogy or may have invented the latest and greatest. Sometime it gets downright vicious with name calling etc.

My take on this is that the so called oil experts have finally figured it out that they have beaten the oil thing to death and there is absolutely no sense in trying to resurrect it.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 PM
Hyjinx

[QUOTE=karolh;12496973]

My take on this is that the so called oil experts have finally figured it out that they have beaten the oil thing to death and there is absolutely no sense in trying to resurrect it.
Either that or they have run out of hot air to bloviate with🙄
Have found some of the "Z" additive rants quite humorous. And I may have actually learned something from them.
I have been running Kendall nitro 70 in my v twins for 30 + years. Mobile one in everything else. Redline shock proof in the 4 speed gearboxes.
I didn't know Redline even made motor oils until I started poking around these forums.
I spend a lot of time under old rocks. Lol
Thanks
Aaron
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Karolh, when you said the threads can get quite vicious, did you actually mean viscous?😄
Old 01-28-2019, 04:29 AM
karolh

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cathurga
Karolh, when you said the threads can get quite vicious, did you actually mean viscous?😄
Actually that was Propworn's handiwork, but that's a good one by you