Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 Stock Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE 20 Stock Muffler

I am nearing the final steps on a Top Flite Cessna 182 ARF. I had the 20 on a plane that I rekitted. On it, I was running a Pitts muffler. No problem so far, except the exhaust pipes are so close together, I can't fit it in without cutting more into the cowling. It's not that I can't, but it would have that "after thought look. The cowling vents are wider, so the pipes and vents don't line up. My thought is that maybe, in this case, using the stock muffler with just 1 pipe to exit the cowl forward of the vents taking them out of the equation.

i am wondering if there is any performance loss with the stock over the Pitts? And any other suggestions? I considered having a Pitts custom made, but didn't know where to go.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:59 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Gold standard for wrap around Pitts style mufflers.:

www.jtecrc.com
Old 05-01-2019, 05:58 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks, can't remember if I checked jtec or not, but will make sure to do so. The tolerances are pretty tight under the cowl. The rear carb on the DLE has the throttle, choke, Pitts can, and nose wheel all in that area. I swapped out the wire gear and added a Sierra nose wheel, so it is even smaller. On the Pitts I have, I had to add small depressions to clear the throttle as it moves forward and back.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
Gold standard for wrap around Pitts style mufflers.:

www.jtecrc.com
jtec will also custom build a muffler to your specs. I’ve had them make several for me and the price isn’t excessive.

Regarding using the stock muffler, it will work just fine though I don’t find the sound especially appealing. There won’t be much if any power difference between stock and a good quality wrap around Pitts.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM
hookedonrc

Thanks truckracer, I have it worked out now. I spoke to Al at jtec earlier today and it looks like they can build it to fit. I sent them a drawing and a couple of pictures showing what need. Since the canister is 3.5 inches long, and the pipes need to be 3.25" center to center, they will have to exit the canister at an angle. Al thought it should be easily doable.

Thanks to you all for the input. It is appreciated.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:44 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you spoke with Al and he agreed to build a custom muffler for you, you know why I consider Jtec to be the gold standard. Try getting service like that anywhere else....