Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

SH GF6 vs Norvel GX40 glow gasoline engines

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SH GF6 vs Norvel GX40 glow gasoline engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Bob2.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SH GF6 vs Norvel GX40 glow gasoline engines

I don't know how missed it but Apparently a company called SH made a glow gasoline engine. I have also known for a while that a Russian company called Norvel has a glow gasoline engine called the GX40 (I even have one). Anyway, I just wanted to make a comparison here for anyone to see because at first glance they seem to be pretty comparable. I would also love to here feedback on anyone that owns either engines.

---------------------------SH GF6 -------------Norvel GX40
Cost. ------------------$120. ------------------$160
Size. -------------------6cc/.36 ---------------6.5cc/.40
weight w/muffler --358g -----------------371g
design.------------------- ABC -----------------AAO
Fuel. ------------------91 octane ---------86-91 octane
Oil %. ----------------------5% ---------------14% (caster)
Prop . ---------------------10x6 -----------10x7, 11x6, 12x4
rpm range. ------------2.8k- 11k ------------2.6k- 14k
Glow plug. ------------SH GT4. --------O.S. P3, P4, or P5
Other interesting details:
- The according to the Manuel, the GF6 engine will not handle rpms over 10.5k very well. Past 10.5k rpm the engine will have a shortened lifespan and past 11k rpm it will flame out. According to many of the owners, the GX40 will fairly easily pass 14k rpms depending on prop choice.
- The GX 40 seems to have a much wider tolerance range as it has a wider prop size range , wider rpm, wider fuel range, and it can run multiple different glow plugs(the P3 is highly recommend.)
- Event thought the engines are very close in size the GX40 seems to have a TON more power while only weighing 13g more.
- GF6 can run using 1/3 the oil of the GX40 making it much cleaner and cheaper to run. Also it can use multiple types of oil, not just pure caster.
- GX40 uses very common glow plugs that can be found at nearly any hobby shop and some owners say that their plugs have last them years. The GF6 needs a specific gasoline optimized glow plug which is not common.
- GF6 runs at a very competitive price of $120 which is VERY cheap for any radio control gasoline engine but the $160 isn't bad for the GX40.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Bob2.0; 07-22-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:06 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the SH have roller bearings on the connecting rod? How is it that it can use so little oil? I have seen a few threads on the Norvel. It seems they work very well, or they have problems with bent rods and throttles.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:39 AM
Bob2.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the close up picture of the parts it appears that it has standard bushings as apposed to roller bearings.

​​​​​Here are my thoughts on oil percentage:
Both the GF6 and the GX40 where developed from near identical nitro engines that the company previously had. The one thing that SH changed and Norvel didn't was the cooling head size. Thanks to Norvel's AAO technology their engines can handle higher temperatures than the ABC engines. Also Norvel likely found early on that the higher engine temperatures improved the power and improved the fuel combustion. So to save costs in manufacturing completely new parts and to help performance, Norvel decided to stick with the old heat sink design. The consequence of these high engine temps is that it needs more oil to protect the engine and the oil needs to be caster so it doesn't loose its lubrication properties with heat. On the other hand the SH GF6 has a much larger cooling fin so it runs at lower temperatures which are comparable to any other nitro engine. Because of this the engine doesn't perform nearly as well in power compared to the GX40, but it can take advantage of the lubrication properties of gasoline so that it only needs 5% synthetic oil.

I have heard that the piston rod has bent before on the GX40. From all the forums that I have read it is only a problem when using an electric starter and the engine gets flooded.