Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 40 Twin Tunning Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 06:52 AM
VE3-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 40 Twin Tunning Issues

Guys, thanks for reading this! I have two DLE40's and they have been real puzzlers this summer and both are doing the same thing! They are both open and exposed engines so good cooling, when I fly at under 1/2 throttle and roll inverted, the engines drop the rpm (like its running rich), when I roll upright its fine again. If I do this at any setting over 1/2 throttle its fine! Idle to hi throttle transition is fine, its smooth with no hesitation and excellent top end! The two planes have different fuel tank setups (1 is a two line the other a 3 line), Checked both carbs and the screens are clean, both have short runs of fuel lines, servos are secured and push rods to both carbs are solid! Both of the engine reed blocks have been lapped which helped a little. Point of interest, one carb is a Walbro and the other is stamped DLE. One of my options is to install Bowman rings from MachineWorx and head down that direction! The engine with the Walbro carb can not be hand started, it needs a starter, the other engine fires up! Sorry for the lengthy note ........... figured more is better ............thoughts?? Tks ALL
Old 09-21-2020, 03:45 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Have you switched to NGK CM6 plugs? That is a must and gapping them to .026 will help with the inverted issue.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:33 PM
VE3-Flyer

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Have you switched to NGK CM6 plugs? That is a must and gapping them to .026 will help with the inverted issue.
Tks for reading, yup, changed all the DLE plugs to the NGK's and set the gap before I fired the engines up! I pulled the plugs on the weekend and they look clean, not carbon'd up etc etc !
Old 09-22-2020, 08:09 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The first thing that comes to mind for me is how the air flows around the carb. An air dam in front of the carb and a line off the diaphragm pressure hole to inside the fuse would be my starting point.

And the walbro that won't hand start I would re-tune.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:53 AM
VE3-Flyer

Originally Posted by kmeyers
The first thing that comes to mind for me is how the air flows around the carb. An air dam in front of the carb and a line off the diaphragm pressure hole to inside the fuse would be my starting point.

And the walbro that won't hand start I would re-tune.
OK will try that, I have seen the fuel line and air nipple pressure fit done in an enclosed cowl to better equalize the pressure .... but can see the air damming as the diaphragm is actually facing the firewall .so maybe some air turbulence etc etc behind the engine ..........

I have re tuned the walbro one until I am blue in the face ....... interesting point, it will not start at the factory needle settings, the low is 1.25 and the hi is 1.5 ..............if the low is not opened to almost 2 turns, it will not run!