Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG61-TS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 10:07 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Saito FG61-TS

Picked up a new FG61-TS. Can anyone with experience comment on the engine? What size fuel tank should I use etc. optimal fuel tank setup for the Walbro? I have the FG60 3 cylinder, but it has more of a "glow" style carb, and use exhaust pressure into the tank from the collector ring etc. on a 3 line setup. What's the best fuel line setup for this engine?

Old 09-27-2020, 09:58 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The fg61ts has a pumper carb . No need to pressurize the tank . You can use a standard 3 line setup Carb line , fill line , vent line. I use a 24 oz tank on 50 to 60cc and 32 oz for 70 to 80cc and 50oz for anything larger . It really depends on the aircraft and how long you want your flights to be. You could get away with a 16oz tank if you're flights are under 10 minutes and it's well broken in and tuned correctly.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:19 PM
chorner

Thanks for the reply! Hmmm uh oh, went with a 16oz tank. Looks like I’ll need to pick up a 24oz. Thanks for the heads up on that as well. Just asking for trouble with 10minutes or less of fuel
Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I also have both FG60-R3 in a TF P-47 and the FG-61TS in Hangar 9 XCub, both with 16 oz tanks. These 4-strokes are very, very fuel efficient. In fact, I have timer set for 10 minutes and land with over half tank.

With regards to tank setup, the manual covers this (with pics) in detail.

Great engine. I couldn’t resist the Horizon sale and picked up another that I need to find a plane for!

What are you putting yours in?
The following users liked this post:
chorner (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 05:34 AM
chorner

That's what I figured, but for some reason there's no fuel consumption information in the manual this time. You're also right with the fuel tank setup being in the manual, just wanted to know if anyone has any specific usage / experience with how sensitive the carb is to fuel draw etc. or any general tips and tricks. I tend to use a fuel balancer / filter on all my engines to smooth out the fuel delivery; like the JL Products QuikFire for example. Picked up the FG61 on sale too, couldn't resist for the price!

I've got the FG60-R3 in the same plane myself Great combo. I have the P47D Tarheel. Putting the FG61 into the Hangar 9 Pitts which looks to be an awesome combo! Really looking forward to this one and seems to be the perfect match for this engine.

p.s - how do you like the Jeti radio setup? How are the receivers and does it have an Xbus type setup at all? I've got the JR 28X which is a great radio, and thankfully a company picked up and is slowly continuing support but I always have this nagging feeling that could go under at any point.

Last edited by chorner; 09-30-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:52 AM
marksp

My FG-61TS fuel is exactly the same as my FG-60R3 setup - Rotoflow 16 oz tank, QuickFire balancer/filter. I also use the same TechAero HV IBEC on 2S. The only difference is prop.

Regarding Jeti Duplex - love the system and programming model. RF fidelity and redundancy instills confidence, but no Xbus capabilities.

The Horizon Hobby Airmeet Live 2020 Hangar 9 Pitts w/Saito flight was epic! Bet that sold a bunch of Pitts + Saito conbons! :-)
Old 09-30-2020, 08:30 AM
chorner

Nice! I'm using the Rotoflow tank as well, but stepped away from it this time. They are great little tanks, but sporadically the clunks tend to stop moving freely and spinning around and you can't see through the tank wall to check easily. Reverted to using something like the ValleyView RC tanks myself, mixed with the QuikFire which seems much more serviceable to me.

Ah so more of a traditional single wire from the receiver to every servo then in that case? No chance for remote "hubs" you can place in wing center sections etc.? The radio quality, programming and redundancy looks to be really well thought out and implemented from what I can see without using it anyhow. Have to see what happens with this JR stuff.

Haha yeah, I'm sure they did. H9 really did make a great choice and did a good job in developing the Pitts. Really only replacing the stock wheels, and decals. Everything else is solid

Old 05-31-2023, 05:33 PM
marksp

Originally Posted by chorner
Nice! I'm using the Rotoflow tank as well, but stepped away from it this time. They are great little tanks, but sporadically the clunks tend to stop moving freely and spinning around and you can't see through the tank wall to check easily. Reverted to using something like the ValleyView RC tanks myself, mixed with the QuikFire which seems much more serviceable to me.
Just experience d the Rotoflow tank clunk failure. Lucky I caught it on ground when trying to de-fuel.

Moved to conventional tank!