Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Will Nearby Magnets Affect Electronic Ignitions?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Will Nearby Magnets Affect Electronic Ignitions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 01:28 PM
GorillaToast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Will Nearby Magnets Affect Electronic Ignitions?

Hi All.

I want to house the EI for my DLE 35RA underneath the belly pan and have the pan attached using small round rare earth magnets as latches.
How near to the EI module can they be and still not adversely affect it?

(btw, this is just a mock-up. I realize the EI will need to be firmly attached, with foam padding and that the wires will need to be routed in a manner that does not allow for chafing.)

Thanks
GT

Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't answer your question about the distance away from the receiver but do a google search for an optical kill switch. There is one made that will cut out any ignition interference to the receiver. The big plus is you plug this thing into your receiver and you don't need an extra battery to power the ignition.

Carl
Old 03-05-2021, 07:58 AM
GorillaToast

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I can't answer your question about the distance away from the receiver but do a google search for an optical kill switch. There is one made that will cut out any ignition interference to the receiver. The big plus is you plug this thing into your receiver and you don't need an extra battery to power the ignition.

Carl
Carl, I think you misunderstood the question. I wasn't asking about the distance of magnets from the RX, but magnets in relation to the Electronic Ignition module that fires the spark for the gas engine.
I do have an optical kill switch, it's just not shown in the photo. None of the electronics are installed yet, as I'm still in the building phase.

thanks for taking time to reply.
GT
Old 03-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Unless the ignition module is being operated in an MRI machine, I doubt that a few magnets mounted nearby would have any affect on how it operates.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:29 AM
GorillaToast

Thanks, Truckracer.

I guess since a bunch of guys didn't jump in telling me I would destroy my ignition, or that the magnets would cause my engine to quit, it must not be a problem.
I'll proceed with installing them.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:55 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with Truckracer, I don't think the magnets will bother the ignition box.

But, what I don't like about your setup is the very sharp bend the spark plug wire is being forced into right where it's coming out of the box.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:12 PM
GorillaToast

That was a concern of mine, as well. so I addressed it this way...

Of course, the unit will be held down with wire ties.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:18 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh I like that WAY better! Nice job!

I think you did yourself a huge favor getting rid of that sharp bend. It's not like the electrons have problems with 90 degree bends, but the wire's insulation between the center conductor and the outer braid very well might have.

Last edited by init4fun; 03-06-2021 at 02:21 PM.