Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Electronic ignition for unknown engine

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Electronic ignition for unknown engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 03:02 PM
GRUBB595

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic ignition for unknown engine

Hi,
I picked up about a 40cc(?) engine at a swap meet nobody knew anything about. It is twin cylinder with a nice Walbro carb and electronic ignition. A few people guessed it was RCGF however there is not a single mark on the engine or ignition The question is why would the ignition make what sounds like a warning tone with 4.8 v. NICAD. I got it to kick over a few times but that's it. The thing is does a twin need higher voltage than what I would be used to for a single and the tone is some kind of warning?
Thanks
Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The ignition needs whatever voltage that particular ignition was designed for. With no labels it will be a guessing game to know the proper voltage range. Many newer ignitions require more than 4.8v but most ignitions tolerate 6v though some of the newest ignitions require higher voltages. I’d try 6 to 6.6 v to see if the results improve.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:17 AM
GRUBB595

Thumbs up Unknown engine voltage

Sounds good but I am a little leery of increasing the voltage in case I fry the unit and then I am really stuck. The strangest thing is that tone it gives off which sounds just like some sort of alarm (for low voltage?) in which case you would definitely be correct. I've searched for hours but I can't find if a twin needs more voltage than single cylinder. Monday I will call CH Ignition.. Thanks for reply!
Old 08-08-2021, 10:45 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

For ignitions that are the same except one kis a single and the other is a twin, the twin doesn’t need more voltage. Most Chinese ignitions, even the early ones were rated for a range of voltages, usually from 4.8 to 6V. Later ones have significantly broadened that recommended voltage range upward with most of the recent ones not working on 4.8v at all. I’d try at least 6 to 6.6 volts. What do you have to lose? It isn’t working now.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:19 PM
GRUBB595

TRUCKRACER-Good points.. I took the plugs out (which are pretty bizarre little things) and poured out a lot of fuel so it was really flooded. Then connected a 6.6 v LIFE , still with loud tone from ignition, but she fired right up and ran like a top. Thanks!