Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

PTE 36R repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 02:29 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PTE 36R repair

I have a PTE 36 that needs its pinned ring replaced. I have ordered a ring...but I need someone to install it, test the engine and bring it back to serviceable status. Does anyone do this work ? Please contact me if you do.
Aloha,
Bob Paris
Old 02-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

UPDATE: I found out the PTE 36R has a pinned ring. I took a good look at my piston and saw the pin...I also found out why the ring moved from the pinned placement. The ring was warn out on the edges, that contacts the pin, in the ring groove, on the piston. The edges of the ring were warn at a 45 degree angle, that allowed the ring to slip and move off the pinned location. At least that is what I feel is the issue, and when the new piston ring comes in, I am going to try to seat the ring and reinstall the cylinder.

I would love to find someone to send this engine too, but no response so far.

Soft Landings Always,
Bob Paris
Old 02-15-2022, 04:04 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Bob , when you get the new ring, check the ring land of the piston for wear . Install the new ring on the piston and place a feeler guage between the ring and the upper land area . Typical clearance should be .001-.005" . If you have more than .005" you will likely need a new piston .