Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

OS 50cc Gemini Twin Gasoline Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

OS 50cc Gemini Twin Gasoline Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 06:36 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

So here it is with the induction system completed. I relocated the pressure-pulse nipple on the intake manifold to face backwards for reasons you will see in the last shot. The whole project came out better than I could've hoped. I'm almost sorry it's (almost) over. I had been looking forward to this for a LONG time.

Now I have to incorporate the ignition components then test run.

Pressure pulse exits the crankcase straight into the manifold pressure port while waste oil heads to the intake venturi for recycling. Neat and clean.

What a jewel.

Last edited by mitchilito; 02-23-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:44 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Great job, Mitch. Totally pro looking conversion and I'm sure it'll run as good as it looks.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:47 PM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Great job, Mitch. Totally pro looking conversion and I'm sure it'll run as good as it looks.
Thanks GG! It's been nothing but fun.

I spent the latter part of the day knocking out the ignition components. These were a LOT easier than the manifold and venturi. So this concluded all the required parts for gas conversion.

Ring on the left is the mount for the timing sensor and mounts to crankcase. Ring on the right mounts to prop hub and has the magnet mounted in it.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:13 AM
mitchilito

Ignition installed. Just need to make a new set of exhaust tubes and it will be time to run.

Both rings were bonded on using green Loctite stud and bearing liquid as well as two setscrews each.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:26 AM
Glowgeek

A pro look on those rings, Mitch. I expected no less.

The gap between the hall sensor and magnet may be pushing the limits? I had trouble with ignition intermitancy with a gap approx that wide using an Rcexl setup. Hopefully it works for you without issues. Keep in mind that magnets lose permeability with time and heat, so what works marginally today may not work well years later.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:38 PM
mitchilito

A pro look on those rings, Mitch. I expected no less.
The gap between the hall sensor and magnet may be pushing the limits? I had trouble with ignition intermitancy with a gap approx that wide using an Rcexl setup. Hopefully it works for you without issues. Keep in mind that magnets lose permeability with time and heat, so what works marginally today may not work well years later.
Thanks for the keen observation, GG!
Yeah, the gap turned out a little bigger than I wanted. I might have to take some action later on.

I have several hall chips kicking around and I might machine a mount out of billet that sits much closer. Right now it sparks like crazy.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:18 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by mitchilito
Thanks for the keen observation, GG!
Yeah, the gap turned out a little bigger than I wanted. I might have to take some action later on.

I have several hall chips kicking around and I might machine a mount out of billet that sits much closer. Right now it sparks like crazy.
No problem, just don't want your fingers to get whacked.

Most of these CDI's, Rcxel and CH for sure, are sitting there when powered up ready to spark at full advance. It's not until the CDI detects rpm, on prop flip, that it retards the timing for start up. If the hall effect sensor misses that first low rpm signal it may, not saying it will, fire at full advance. I'm not sure if that would cause the prop to kick back or not but "better safe than sorry" is a rule I give considerable weighting to.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 02-24-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:19 AM
mitchilito

No problem, just don't want your fingers to get whacked.

Most of these CDI's, Rcxel and CH for sure, are sitting there when powered up ready to spark at full advance. It's not until the CDI detects rpm, on prop flip, that it retards the timing for start up. If the hall effect sensor misses that first low rpm signal it may, not saying it will, fire at full advance. I'm not sure if that would cause the prop to kick back or not but "better safe than sorry" is a rule I give considerable weighting to.
Interesting. You convinced me. I'll just have to get that sensor closer.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:51 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Very nice Mitch. Does the vent loop fill with oil as it runs? I have a Roto 85 FS and the crankcase vent really makes a mess.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:39 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
Very nice Mitch. Does the vent loop fill with oil as it runs? I have a Roto 85 FS and the crankcase vent really makes a mess.
Does it fill up? Not really, Tony. The crankcase discharge oil passes thru the line as more or less a heavy mist and into the intake for recirculation. I've been using this system on all my 4-cycle model engines for years. It has several big advantages: it increases the total oil content in the intake charge for better lubricaton (or you can reduce the amount of oil you mix in your gas) and it completely eliminates the sludge discharged onto the bottom of the aircraft. On my Rascal 110 aircraft powered by my little 25cc Gemini conversion there is only a little oil film on the landing gear struts from the exhaust. So nice.

I can't tell you what to do Tony, but I will say this, if that Roto 85 was mine I would certainly recirculate the waste oil.

Last edited by mitchilito; 02-26-2023 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:43 AM
mitchilito

The final step is to make some new exhaust tubes. When I got the engine one tube was bad. Also, I like a slightly longer tube than stock.

At the bottom we see the completed engine. It has been a lot of fun and I might be a little sad it's done. But I do get to run it now

Just need to be cut.

Ready to run!

Last edited by mitchilito; 02-25-2023 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ferincr (04-11-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 09:39 AM
Glowgeek

Vid, or it never happened!

21x8 prop?
Old 02-25-2023, 10:15 AM
mitchilito

21x8 prop?
HA HA HA HA. Don’t worry, brother. Sooooooon.

And this pic is for you GG:

Hall mount just needed a tiny adjustment
Old 02-25-2023, 10:39 AM
mitchilito

And finally this is for the throngs of people who will be following in my footsteps:

NOT!
The following users liked this post:
ferincr (04-11-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 02:00 PM
mitchilito

21x8 prop?
I will be installing a 20x8 prop. The gas conversion robs 10 or 15% of the power when compared to the Nitro powered version. For me, this engine doesn't need to be a crazy powerhouse. I will be designing an airframe that works best with its power to weight ratio. Right now, I'm planning a biplane version of the Sig Rascal (like I have my 25cc Gemini in) only bigger to suit this 50cc engine. Only time will tell. . ..

Last edited by mitchilito; 02-25-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 02:38 PM
mitchilito

Duplicate post
Old 02-26-2023, 04:28 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by mitchilito
I will be installing a 20x8 prop. The gas conversion robs 10 or 15% of the power when compared to the Nitro powered version. For me, this engine doesn't need to be a crazy powerhouse. I will be designing an airframe that works best with its power to weight ratio. Right now, I'm planning a biplane version of the Sig Rascal (like I have my 25cc Gemini in) only bigger to suit this 50cc engine. Only time will tell. . ..
I've been seeing closer to an 18% reduction in HP moving from 15% nitro to gas on my conversions. Unlike glow ignition, CDI ignition allows for additional engine loading without risk of detonation so I run the same prop as with glow, or a size bigger. This helps to keep engine rpm and temps down. I would prop that twin to 7000-7500 on the ground, whatever prop makes that happen.

Adrian at CH is getting 7000 with a Xoar 21x8.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 02-26-2023 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:21 AM
mitchilito

I've been seeing closer to an 18% reduction in HP moving from 15% nitro to gas on my conversions. Unlike glow ignition, CDI ignition allows for additional engine loading without risk of detonation so I run the same prop as with glow, or a size bigger. This helps to keep engine rpm and temps down. I would prop that twin to 7000-7500 on the ground, whatever prop makes that happen.

Adrian at CH is getting 7000 with a Xoar 21x8.
Thanks GG! I hadn't seen this video of Adrian. It's going to come in very handy.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:13 AM
mitchilito

She’s not light.

Just shy of 5 pounds
Old 02-27-2023, 07:50 AM
Glowgeek

Not too bad, Mitch. A Saito FG-57 weighs almost 6 oz more than that with mufflers and standoffs.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 02-27-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:54 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Adrian at C & H is how I got started on my Saito 180 conversion. I had been sending links to his timing video's for years. It is a combination of being cheap and liking to make my own stuff that led me to not buy one of his kits.

I found a smaller carb on fleebay and put it on the 180 yesterday and loved how it ran, thanks to this thread. The orifice is about 0.375 in a Walbro clone.

I hope we can keep these fun projects going.

Beautiful work and great pictures and info. I'm looking forward to the run video ( no pressure ).
Old 02-28-2023, 03:53 AM
mitchilito

Originally Posted by kmeyers
Adrian at C & H is how I got started on my Saito 180 conversion. I had been sending links to his timing video's for years. It is a combination of being cheap and liking to make my own stuff that led me to not buy one of his kits.

I found a smaller carb on fleebay and put it on the 180 yesterday and loved how it ran, thanks to this thread. The orifice is about 0.375 in a Walbro clone.

I hope we can keep these fun projects going.

Beautiful work and great pictures and info. I'm looking forward to the run video ( no pressure ).
Thanks for the kind words, K. I'd love to know what kind of performance you're getting out of that 180 - especially compared to when you ran it on nitro. That sounds like the same throat diameter as I'm running in my little 25cc Gemini and this 50cc one. You are actually flowing more air (per combustion cycle) than I am on the 50cc so I'm curious about the performance.

I've had several Saito 150/180s and as a matter of fact the 150 was the engine I first started plumbing the crankcase discharge back into the intake. As a matter of fact, as as an experiment that I did NOT think would work, I plumbed that line directly into the intake manifold (instead of plumbed to the inlet of the carb like on my Geminis) fully expecting the pressure pulse to interfere with the intake cycle. Instead, it ran like a watch and all that sludge disappeared out the exhaust. I'm not doing that on these engines out of an abundance of caution - to prevent any possibility of hydro lock. When these engines sit a long time after running the crankcase slowly dumps a LOT of oil that would just collect in the manifold - and be sucked up on first start. The singles didn't seem to collect as much after run drain oil so I didn't worry about it.

Last edited by mitchilito; 02-28-2023 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:32 AM
Glowgeek

I did an experiment on an OS FT120 last year just to see how much more oil would remain in the crankcase if the engine were run in the inverted position (vent facing up). In the upright mounted position (vent facing down) the crankcase retained approx 2cc of oil, in the inverted mounted position (vent facing up) approx 3cc.

Point being, if oil drainage is a concern one can either change the vent location to a higher position or run a vent line loop over the top of the engine without I'll effect.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 03-01-2023 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:26 AM
mitchilito

I did an experiment on an OS FT120 last year just to see how much more oil would remain in the crankcase if the engine were run in the inverted position (vent facing up). In the upright mounted position (vent facing down) the crankcase retained approx 2cc of oil, in the inverted mounted position (vent facing up) approx 3cc.

Point being, if oil drainage is a concern one can either change the vent location to a higher position or run a vent line loop over the top of the engine without I'll effect.
Wow, that wouldn't. have occurred to me. Thanks GG.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:43 AM
Glowgeek

All the nay sayers claiming the engine would load up with oil is what prompted my experiment.
In my thinking, only so much oil in liquid form could collect in the case before being whipped into a mist by the rotating assembly. Once in mist form the location of the vent becomes less relevant due to internal pumping pressure differentials. Many later model 4 strokes are vented from the top of the cam box to promote localized lubrication of that area. Some are vented near on the bottom of the cam box for the same reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.