Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G-45

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G-45

I have been considering using a G-45 in one of my planes, but it seems that very few people use them for some reason. I know that the Zenoah engines are very reliable, but are a bit heavy for their horsepower. I see plenty of talk about the merits of the G-38 and the G-62's (vibration problems with this one also). The G-45 is only a couple of ounces heavier than the G-38 and is shorter from top to bottom. By using the spring starter that can be fitted to these engines, they start very well. Is excessive vibration a problem with the -45 or is there some other reason I don't see much talk about this engine? By the way, I am going to try to mount my -45 in a H-9 Taylor Craft. It looks like it will fit in cowl very well and this plane needs some pretty good thrust to fly with authority. Again--ask me how I know. Hint--this is the second one I have bought in the last 2 months.

Sam
Old 05-29-2002, 03:22 AM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zenoah G-45

Sam

The H9 Taylorcraft and the Zenoah G-38 are an excellent combination. I have a Friend on his second model with this combo and he loves it... This Taylorcraft Torque Rolls....

I agree the weight difference is negligible with the G-45 verses the G-38 and the 20% or so increase in displacement won't hurt your feelings either. However there is a 25% increase in price or $100.00 to help distribute the weight and displacement increases....

All the Zenoahs I have used vibrated, the 45 was no different.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:40 AM

Default Zenoah G-45

Thanks Mike,

I already have the G-45 so I will go ahead and see how it works. I just don't hear much comment about the G-45 so I was wondering? Originally had an RCS 140 on the plane and it was underpowered for an aerobatic type aircraft. The engine partially seized at about 2/3 throttle and during a reasonably quick turn back to the field, the plane stalled and went into an uncontrollable spin or "dead man's spiral." Since there was not an abundance of altitude at the time, recovery was impossible. I know that the G-45 is well above the H-9 recommended engine range for this plane, but we are talking about a heavy craft here--probably more so than most people think for the type it is. I don't believe that the G-45 will pull the wings off is what I'm getting at! Thanks for your comments.

Sam
Old 05-29-2002, 10:32 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zenoah G-45

Sounds like you dont want to hear it,but you are talking about a 100% displacement increase from what the designers are reccomending,because you just happen to own a G45.Its too heavy,too powerful and is going to strain the landing gear and the structure of the plane.You are going to have CG amd prop clearance problems too.Bet it lands like a sick duck............
Many of our glow engined planes are grossly overpowered and pilots are used to screaming verticals and pine to do the dreaded hover.They fly on the engine and depend on firewalling it to get out of trouble.Many never learn to fly on the wing and I think this dependence on power slops over into larger gas powered planes.All of this is leading up to why I think the G45 is not overly popular and that is the average buyer gets the G62 instead,since it costs little more,they feel they can throttle back if its too much for the plane its in and they grew up with overpowered models anyway and that is what they are used to.I suspect the bigger is better attitude enters here too.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:27 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zenoah G-45

Kevin,
You're right on target.
There's nothing like going to a flyin and seeing a lightplane takeoff and climb out like a warbird, and a warbird rocket through the sky like an F16.
People always tell me "Your planes look so realistic in the air".
It's no big secret. I don't overpower them and I let the wings keep them in the air.
I put a G45 in an 88", 23 lb. P47, and it hauls it with authority.
Of course, my opinion of "authority" is not hanging on the prop.

JimS
Old 05-29-2002, 01:12 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Default Zenoah G45

I have a DP Extra, and I have a G45 strapped to the nose. I guess I too am guilty of "just having the G45 sitting around" and I wanted to go gas. So, after a call to DP models, and getting the OK, thats what I went with. It too fits very nicely within the cowling, and in my case from what I here, the DP extra can use the extra weight up front to balance. We will see, as I have not flown it yet! Now for the other extreme, I have a H9 Cap 1/3 scale with a ZDZ 80! I like variety, I guess! Zenoahs have been around a long time, and are a very dependable engine type. While the magneto engine is not quite the same as the new electronic ignitions, it requires no extra battery for spark! You have pros and cons for either way you go! All you can do is just go for it with what yo got!
Old 05-29-2002, 05:34 PM

Default Zenoah G-45

I have a G45 that I bought new. Without question it is one of the best running most reliable engines I've ever owned. Starts easily with hand flip. Flew IMAC with 45 on a ISC staudacher at 18lbs. Unlimited vertical performance. Around 40 gal. thru with no maintenance required.