Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Used Engines (et all) Sold Here-Why NEW Prices?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Used Engines (et all) Sold Here-Why NEW Prices?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used Engines (et all) Sold Here-Why NEW Prices?

You know... I've refrained from asking this question for a long time as my take on it is "stupid is as stupid does." The MarketPlace here seems to be a shining example of stupid comes home and I'm talking more in the engines section than anywhere else.

It absolutely amazes me that sellers in that forum can ask within 5-10% of full retail and get it day-in and day-out. Don't get me wrong; I can't blame sellers one bit. I'm thinking of dumping a few extra good gas engines I have in there too. Why not!?! I can get back what I paid for them 2 years ago and use the money towards new ones should I chose to or just drop it in my pocket and have flown them for XX months for FREE!

What kills me is that the supposedly educated consumer here seems more than gracious to pay these exorbitant (IMO) prices! Put me in the don't get it column. The old forum didn't seem to have pricing like this. Have we just gotten a lot of new, uneducated users here that simply don't know any better? Could somebody riddle me an answer please? I've resorted to and rolling the dice. I can afford to do that cheaper now than buying here from what should be much more reputable sellers and that's frustrating.

End rant.

Any takers?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:31 PM
conkster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Used Engines (et all) Sold Here-Why NEW Prices?

your not alone. i don`t get it either. i`ve seen people asking more for something used than i can walk into my lhs and buy new. plus i get it the same day. i wonder if they price stuff high & let you talk them down a little to make you think you got a good deal? people think what they have is gold & what you have is sh** . i need a used engine but i`ll just save a little more & buy a new one. i don`t mean to p.o. anyone . just wanted to vent , sorry

conk
Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 PM
WilsonFlyer

Yea. I was trying to be nice. LMAO

Actually, most of the stuff in there except for an OCCASIONAL airplane seems to be AT street new pricing or HIGHER. Absolutely amazing.

An organized boycott of overpricing is the answer. Will it ever happen? Nope. Why? People don't got ballz, that's why.

I don't intend on buying anything else in there as long as it remains as unreasonable as it has become and I don't see any signs of change. Sad really. It should be a good seller AND buyer's marketplace given the perceived knowledge level here. As it is, it has become a joke (That's absolutely NO reflection on RCU since they have no control over pricing there). What a shame and a waste.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever go to a real life auction? It never fails that someone going there for the first time will invariably bid up the price of an item to above street retail and think they got a good deal. I think the same applies here.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:44 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

I dont understand it either. I tried buying a "like new" and also a "NIB" ZDZ80 here. The people wanted the same as I could get one new. They acted insulted when I offered them about 80% of the new price.

I dont know how most engine warranties are , but with a ZDZ its only for the original buyer. So if you buy a NIB ZDZ here for nearly new prices you dont get ANY warranty and are buying an "as is" engine. I wont pay anywhere new prices for an unwarranted engine.

Joe
Old 02-02-2004, 08:11 PM
WilsonFlyer

Obviously, I'm not the only one that feels this way. for that reason, I'm glad I finally said something.

Now; what can we do about it?

Time to put up or shut up.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:01 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I know what you mean, I have bought kits on rcu or at almost street price, the only thing that kept me from paying full price is setting a lower reserve. On the other hand, I've had kits and motors listed here with poor results, some people truly think that it's being sold because I think it's worthless, so they assume that I'll take next to nothing for it. Now before I go too far here, I'm talking about $500.00 worth of new in box stuff and there only offering me $200.00 shipped?!, or a $50.00 new in box motor for $20.00 shipped to europe, get real! I'd at least expect 80% of the street price for new stuff and 70% for like new used stuff, of course that price would be shipped. I think that people get greedy and haggle too much, if we were all honest and priced things fair we would not have these issues, you should get what you pay for and not any thing more, this would set a guide line to go by. In fact, I wish that someone would compile a list of pro-rating of certian items like motors and kits. It would make fair market pricing easier.
Just my thoughts.[:-]
Old 02-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

Without the warranty, I would never pay more than 40 to 50% for any used engine or product. Some ads state there is a remaining warranty left, but it simply doesn't work that way. I don't understand!!!
Cajuncharley
Old 02-03-2004, 08:26 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

This is also a sore subject for me. Model planes and engines have the resale value of a used computer--NOT VERY MUCH. When I sell or offer anything, I use the basis of what I would be willing to pay. That means that I sell a ton of stuff and I got a great trader rating. However as in everything in life, I have discovered that with many people, when they are selling something it is worth a lot more than when they are buying it. in other words, since they have owned it, the value goes up. I read a lot of the ads and LOL. I refrain from saying anything since I do not want to start a fight, but as was last night I was looking at a NIB ARF here on RCU and the guy wanted $90 more than I bought the same NIB here about 4 months ago. Because he paid full retain, he wanted everybody else to also. Oh Well..........(PS-- Learningman-- sounds like you pay high dollar for your stuff.)
Old 02-03-2004, 09:00 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I dont agree with you at all. especially on gassers. You can ask anything you want but that doesnt mean someone will pay it.
I recently sold a bme 50 with a muffler for 425 after a month. Thats 600 dollars worth of engine, yes it was used but gas engines last for years and hours and hours of running. The people that offer you 300 dollars for what they know is 600 dollars worth of motor are just insulting you, seeing if they can find that desperate seller so they can brag to there friends about how good a deal they got. Sorry but after losing money on just about everything I have ever sold on RCU I disagree strongly
Old 02-03-2004, 09:30 AM
WilsonFlyer

Sorry but after losing money on just about everything I have ever sold on RCU I disagree strongly
Since you apparently disagree strongly with what the rest of us apparently perceive, please expand on the statement above if you don't mind. What do you mean you've "lost money" exactly?

I lose money technically if I sell something for $9 that I paid $10 for. to me, there is a cost of use factor. Other things that factor in are things such as loss of warranties as mentioned several times above, age, appearance and risk factor to the buyer (a lesser price because the buyer is taking a perceived risk in buying used merchandise whether such risk is real or not).

Buy a new car and drive it off the lot and see what it's worth. True, it's the oldest analogy in the world but it is because of the reality of it. I just don't understand why the same rules of value don't seem to transpose themselves into this hobby or more specifically to the MarketPlace here. I get fair and equitable deals locally (Thanks AJF) all the time. I'm just trying to understand why the deals aren't fair (granted, a subjective term) here.

I saw the live auction mentality locally last weekend. For years I had heard about all these "great deals" at a local annual swap meet in Burlington NC. I finally decided to go and I can't think of a better example of a total waste of 6 hours of my life. Everything there was being SOLD at retail or at 2-3 points less. It was RIDICULOUS yet a typical example of the captive audience syndrome. I went once. I learned my lesson and I don't have to go again. I guess that's the good news. Problem is, I'm getting the same taste in my mouth from RCU's MP and apparently I'm not alone.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 AM
WilsonFlyer

(PS-- Learningman-- sounds like you pay high dollar for your stuff. )
I know you know better. :P LMAO
Old 02-03-2004, 10:18 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Some things hold their value better than others. An example is a giant warbird. Byron Kits are another as well as the ignition gas engines. zenoah, US, Quatra, (and the worst of all) weedie conversoins go downhill quickly. Servos are another laughable matter. I regularly get NIB JR coreless 8101, 4131, and 4721 for around half price from what Horizion charges. Since Hitec can sell me a new 5945 for $75 that makes the JR corless worth around the $50 mark. I agree-- YOU AIN'T GOTTA SELL ANYTHING! But I think that a lot of people don't and want you to think they do. ($425 for a used BME is about correct in my book)

THE REAL JOKE IS THE AUCTION!!!!!!! Does anybody sell anything there????? The seller sets the reserve at his asking price and if he can get any more than that it is a bonus. I can't tell you how many times I have won a bid but because I did not meet the reserve I do not get the item. I quit even bidding anymore. It is a waste of my time.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Just because a item was listed at street price and late sold doesn't mean it was necessarily sold at the asking price. Often times seller will ask for more money up front, expecting to have to haggle later. Also, it may appear that most items are overpriced if you have your browser set at only showing unsold items. The good deals are usually gone in a day or two after listing, and they drop out of view. That's my experience. I've sold 10-12 items since RCU switched to the new Marketplace, and 80% of them were sold within 2 days. That means unless you are watching the sales like a hawk every day, you may have missed the better bargains. What's left that are carried over weeks after weeks are the ridiculously overpriced deals.

In any case, I don't see what the problem is with sellers asking whatever price they see fit. You no like, you no buy! It's that simple. It's the same thing at swap meets and even at various hobby shops.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:12 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Simple answer is if you dont like the price dont buy it. If the seller really wants to sell it he will come down on the price. I agree about the auctions, I never go there. This topic really isn't something to get worked up about in my book so I wont comment further, I'll go pop some popcorn and pull up a chair
Old 02-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Crash King
My Feedback: (24)

WELL SINCE YOU ASKED [X(]

Simple economics here guys - If someone will pay 90% of retail there is a reason. Maybe not a good reason to you but there is a good reason to them.
For example when some manufacturers cannot produce to the demand the value of the used engines is higher. When there are 10-15 Used DA50's out there
for 250.00 bucks I bet DA will not be selling as many @ $550.00. May be wrong, probably will never see them @ 250.00 but you get the jest.

I get a kick out of those guys that ask 95% of New price, but then, hey you can do what you want. I actually buy some stuff that people ask 95% for later @ much lower prices. I did just buy a new ZDZ50NG and I could have ordered a DA or picked up one of the many 3.2 misc engines here for less. The reason I purchased was completely due to RC Showcase, and the fact that I will need support.

I have to say if you look hard enough you will find some deals, but as other have said you have to watch the ads like a Hawk.[:-]
Take care,
Crash
Old 02-03-2004, 12:29 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Post removed by Moderator, not RC related.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:25 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

You are right about being very (no, VERY VERY) cautious when buying anything used. I have bought exactly three engines used from the old marketplace, one NIB (but the guy neglected to inform me that the box was 12 years old) and two "almost new" & "not even run in". There was a good reason they weren't run-in, they didn't run. I have had to pay to repair them all. And they were bought from supposedly reputable sellers. My advice is be especially wary of almost new engines as the people probably bought them and then sold them when there was a problem as many vendors, in this case Taurus, don't stand behind their product. Let the buyer beware.!!! My wife says if I ever buy another used engine, she'll shoot me. I also now buy new only from reputable vendors like Cactus, AI or RC showcase or Fox or Horizon who will back their products up.

End of rant.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:30 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

I saw the live auction mentality locally last weekend. For years I had heard about all these "great deals" at a local annual swap meet in Burlington NC. I finally decided to go and I can't think of a better example of a total waste of 6 hours of my life. Everything there was being SOLD at retail or at 2-3 points less. It was RIDICULOUS yet a typical example of the captive audience syndrome. I went once. I learned my lesson and I don't have to go again.
We have auctions twice a year here in Northern Viginia's NVRC. The stuff usually goes for about 50 cents on the dollar. And I am talking top quality ready to fly models, or kits or radio gear. The engines usually go for about 60-75%. The real suprise is the Park Flyer stuff, that goes for full retail, hehe, even if its obviously used. I prefer gas myself but I guess electrics are the same as anything else that is "trendy".

Joe
Old 02-03-2004, 02:35 PM
DanS

I've only bought 2 used engines. Both were in planes that I saw fly. The owners wanted more power and were upgrading. Both engines had les than 1 gallon through them. I got both complete with muffler and props for much less than than just the engine new. That's pretty much the only way I'll buy an engine.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:00 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Post removed by Moderator
Old 02-03-2004, 05:13 PM
DanS

With the high prices for used stuff I did exactly that. I bought a new Brison 3.2 for slightly more than a used one from someone I don't know. I can't see spending $400 for a used one when I can get a new one for $50 more and know exactly what I'm getting plus service if there is a problem. If people can get that kind of money for used stuff more power to them but it won't be my money they get.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:46 PM
WilsonFlyer

What it boils down to is if you don't like the price look for one thats cheaper. I can't believe how many people are whining about this...you sound like a bunch of spoiled girls. If it's that bad shut up and buy a new one.
Please do us the courtesy of not turning this into what you WANT to see v. what this discussion is all about. At the end of the day, these folks can ask twice retail and I don't really care. I'm quite capable of buying any engine I want to any TIME I want to. Sorry to be so blunt but with your implication, I felt it necessary to put that on the table.

The money ain't the issue. Perceived worth is the issue. I am also concerned about newer users here that may believe that BECAUSE it's priced as such HERE, that it is automatically a fair price almost to the extent of believing that pricing is managed and monitored by forum management which it is NOT.

It you want to talk about juvenile issues like a juvenile, I would at least appreciate the courtesy of your keeping it out of my serious thread. Like you told us, if you don't see this thread as serious, just stay out of it but please don't add your implications that we are all acting childlike just because you don't understand the real subject matter.

I'm/we're trying to visualize some very real issues and problems here. Your childish comments aren't helping any of us understand the real issues any better.

Edited for a typo, not content.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:10 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

That's the problem, there is no issue. Price discrepancies exist with any commodity. Why should the RC community be any different from everyone else? It's the consumers responsibility to find the best price. It's not the retailer's/reseller's responsibility to offer the best price.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:09 PM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

somewhat related

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/dont...1500647/tm.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.