Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

ZDZ40 what rpms are you guys getting ?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ40 what rpms are you guys getting ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZDZ40 what rpms are you guys getting ?

Originally posted by Scorpionjack
Cygnet;
The Bambula Prop isn't the problem! I have the same engine turning a 20 X 10 Bambula 7100 Rpm look at the link above and you can see the tach readings.
There may be nothing wrong with YOUR prop.

Vince
Old 06-04-2002, 01:06 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I stated before about the problem with the Top Flite prop, it was just that Top Flite prop, not all Top Flite props of the same dia and pitch. Something in the manufacturing of that specific prop was way off, we didn't check the pitch after we discovered the problem. The owner was so torqued by this time that when we discovered what it was he broke the prop in several pieces and put it in the trash.

Sometimes we assume things are all right, when we should check them to make sure.

I'm glad there is nothing wrong with your engine, that is a fine engine that will return many years of solid service.

As mentioned earlier, change the prop and go bore holes in the sky.

Vince
Old 06-04-2002, 12:13 PM
snotlocker
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAMBULA ??????

I tend to like bigger props with less pitch , as with this BAMBULA
if i cant spin a prop that is rated for this size motor it makes the prop not efficiant ? therefore not a good prop? sure i could stick it on a ZDZ 60 but it would be too small for the plane that motor is mounted on , So BAMBULA props are a good deal ,But they are not a good prop ????
Old 06-04-2002, 12:45 PM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Locker,

I think what there saying is just because two different prop manufacturers make a 22 X 8 there not going to perform the same on every engine. Also just because it dosnt in one case doesnt make it a peice of junk!

Hey dude, you seen it with your own eyes, that motor dragging you're friends engine down and all.

Try a different brand 22 X 8!

My 40 CC (FPE) instructions recommend Master Airscrew and DynaThrust (a good value).

In perfomance tests i've read. Mejclik, Menz, and Ultra Menj seems to be the props of choice. HAve fun ..nine
Old 06-04-2002, 01:33 PM
snotlocker

Default JUNK???

9 fingers ,If you read my last post i didnt say they were JUNK !!

I will try a diffrent brand 22X8

im saying what good is this brand if this size motor cant spin um ???

(In perfomance tests i've read. Mejclik, Menz, and Ultra Menj seems to be the props of choice. HAve fun ..nine (

i guess you get what you pay for if i read your QUOTE right ?

9 NINGERS, Dude you need to relax !! I am just asking questions.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:50 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Props

In my experience in recent times, the Zinger Pro is the best value in props considering performance/price. Menz are great quality and if you want a quality heavy load prop, the "S" is perfect. The Ultra is a good lower load prop. From my tests, the Zinger Pro of equivilent size falls in between the Menz "S" and Ultra in load. The Mejzlik is a very lightly loading prop, more in the Ultra territory. Also keep in mind that the Mejzlik and Bolly CF props weigh considerably more than the wood props. The Zinger is the lightest of these.

I have used and still use all of these props, but in most of my applications, the Zinger Pro is turning out to be my favorite. BTW, I have also found them to be very consistant between different examples too. I measured three of the same size at the same time and they all measured within 50RPM of each other.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:56 PM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Snot,

Just trying to help, you see I'm just glad to be here! Sorry if I offended you're prop expertise! I'm outa-here! Good luck ..the nine.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:15 PM
otterdriver

Default ZDZ RPMs

Hey SNOTLOCKER I have a ZDZ 80 had same problem 5500 with 26x10 s-w pipe tryed everything then switch to a supersonic pipe RPMs NOW 6400 my CAP has good vertical now Mark,
Old 06-04-2002, 08:50 PM
BFG
My Feedback: (3)

Default Prop shop

Snot gobbler,
This same delema came about years ago when this company came out with a newfangled funny looking grey propeller called an APC, how anybody could come up with a better prop than my master Airscrew is beyond me. Well just for an example and it has been a long long time ago a 12x6 M/A would turn XXX rpms and a APC 12x6 would turn xxx rpms and all of a sudden something is wrong with my motor because it just isn't "performing"" like it did last week. Come to find out it isn't the engine its the prop. To get the same rpms or even close we had to buy the next size down in diameter! Today with so many manufacturers of so many different styles of props we have such a variety of choices that it becomes somewhat frustrating to find the correct prop, and the price range is incredible.I believe what I can see with my own eyes. I don't buy a motor and look at the prop range the manu. "suggests" and get on the phone and order me up a Composite Carbon Graphite with stranded unobtanium fibers impregnated in a clockwise swirl for a special internet price today of $177.99. I get a couple of name brand wood props and test the waters. If I don't get what i'm looking for in rpms then I cut it down until I do or take them to the local swap meet and give them away for less than Frazee paints charges for a handful of paint stirrers. I've found that there can be as much as 1200-1500 rpm difference in the same size prop. My 2cents and then some. Maybe your motor is tired and needs some motor honey.... hehe
Old 06-04-2002, 10:16 PM
OUTCAST

Very interesting comments boys. You do know this is fun right?
Old 06-04-2002, 10:17 PM
Diablo-RCU

Until you pull the aftermarket muffler (S&W) off the motor, you will never know (and neither will we) how much if any of the problem was related to the muffler and how much to the prop. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you pick up at least 500 rpm when you remove the muffler.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:08 AM
snotlocker

Default OK ill try it

ill take the S&W OFF and run that BAMBULA 22x8 ....
IF diablo is right , ill toss them S&Ws ON EBAY !!
Old 06-05-2002, 02:33 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Default Re: OK ill try it

Originally posted by snotlocker
ill take the S&W OFF and run that BAMBULA 22x8 ....
IF diablo is right , ill toss them S&Ws ON EBAY !!
Having been down this road, a couple of things...FIRST - The Bambula 22 x 8 is TOO MUCH LOAD for this fresh of a motor, period. SECOND - if you have a restrictive muffler, AND too much prop, you risk permanent damage to the motor from prolonged break in under those conditions.

Of course, it is your motor. Were I breaking in another ZDZ 40 (I've had 3) I would use a 20 x 10 ProZinger, the petroleum-based Pennzoil or equiv at 40:1, and either a J&A muffler or a K&S canister....let the thing breathe...it will pay off.

Just my .02, like everyone else's....ya read it all, and take what suits ya....
Old 06-05-2002, 03:02 AM
snotlocker

Default ok

Ok Bob , after this motor is brokin in ,and i find a non restrictive muffler,( you think the S&Ws are restrictve also ?) what numbers do you think
it will spin this Bambula 22X8 prop at ?
do you think it will ever spin it at close to 6500?

i did run 3/4 of a gallon of stahl 2 stroke oil at 32/1 (YUK)
before changing to maxima k2 synth ...

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO .....
Old 06-05-2002, 03:57 AM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

Snotlocker I don't think you will ever see 6500 even with a tuned can muffler but why don't you try flying it first even a 6200 on a Ziner pro you are going to have lots of up hill. All these numbers are just numbers try all the props in the air I think you might be supprised at how some perform ZDZ engines have TQ and TQ might suprise you. Just my .02
Old 06-05-2002, 06:03 AM
CptCliffhanger
My Feedback: (6)

Default RF BOY!!

Stop fussing with that dammed ZDZ!! Strap a Moki on there and be done with it so you can finish that falcon!!

AKAKKAKAKAKAKAKAKAK
Old 06-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Default Re: ok

Originally posted by snotlocker
Ok Bob , after this motor is brokin in ,and i find a non restrictive muffler,( you think the S&Ws are restrictve also ?) what numbers do you think
it will spin this Bambula 22X8 prop at ?
do you think it will ever spin it at close to 6500?

i did run 3/4 of a gallon of stahl 2 stroke oil at 32/1 (YUK)
before changing to maxima k2 synth ...

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO .....
I won't get the "tact award"...your ultimate rpm on THAT motor depends nearly completely on how lean/rich that first 3/4 gallon of Stihl 32:1 was !!! If you were breaking it in on the Bambula AND the S&W, and peaked the high end and ran it there for more than a few seconds at a time, I'd say it got overloaded during break-in, and that's a bad thing. Now - as MANY have said - go get a Top Flite or a Zinger, or a Pro Zinger 20 x 10, put something other than the S&W on it (or nothing) and let 'er go! Set needles to 1 1/2 turns open to start. Adjust only in small increments and then only when fully warmed up. DON'T TRY FOR PEAK RPM YET !!!
Old 06-05-2002, 03:35 PM
OUTCAST

rcing, doesn't the propeller get dull when you cut up the firewood?
Old 06-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Yes, but I use a Mejzlik, that way it lasts longer....
Old 06-05-2002, 11:52 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

GOOD EVENING ZDZ-40 WAS REVIEWED BY MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS RECENTLY 93 OCT 50:1 MIX KLOTZ SYN OIL RCS INVERTED
PITTS STYLE MUF MENZ 20-10 6800RPM AND 1800 IDLE
ZINGER 20-10 6700RPM 1850 RPM IDLE
I HOPE THIS REINFORCES THE OTHER REPORTS PJAMESRC
Old 06-06-2002, 12:27 AM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

CHINOOKPILOT
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS RECENTLY DID A REVIEW ON THE ZDZ-40
THE RESULTS: MENZ 20X10 6800RPM MAX 1800 RPM IDLE
ZINGER 20X10 6700MAX RPM 1850 RPM IDLE 93 OCT 50:1 KLOTZ SYN WITH RCS INVERTED PITTS STYLE MUFFLER
THANKS PJAMESRC