Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 40 Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 02:00 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 40 Spark Plug

Just got my new ZDZ 40. Nice engine. Mounted it on my DP 330 last night. Easy to install.

The plug that came in the engine was a Czech off brand of some sort. What is the replacement for this plug in NGK, Champion etc.?

I also noticed it appears the end above the insulator was ground down til it's about 1/16" thick. Is this a mod that must be done on all plugs for the plug cap used with this engine?

I can't find any Pennzoil oil that's recommended for break in. I did find some Ryobi oil. Will it work just as well? It mixes at 32:1 just like RCS recommends.

Jeff Naber
Old 06-19-2002, 02:24 PM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The replacement NGK plug is the "R" version of the bpm6f,and yes you cut back the metal top of the plug to a flat nub to accomodate the miniature Bosche cap.
Last time I spoke with RCS about oils they were high on Honda petro based for breakin and synthetic after......
Old 06-19-2002, 10:43 PM
tkg

Default Plug

Be careful. the NGK 6F plug ground off is a little taller than the Brisk thats in the engine. Some time the cap won't lock down tight.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Diablo-RCU

Just grind off a little more of the steel end of the plug and it'll fit fine.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:35 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Having run both NGK and the Brisk, it is worth the trouble to locate the Brisk. I bought several because - the height of the NGK is different on the porcelain AND the height of the hex flats. Do a side by side comparison, carefully fit BOTH into the Falkon cap, and make your decision.
The NGK **WORKS**, but it is by FAR, not the correct fit for the cap to lock down. Remember that the cap locking agains the "plug shield" is the GROUND for the ignition....and worth having a solid connection all the way around the base of the cap in the shield. Take a close look at how far the cap goes down into the shield with the Brisk compared to the NGK.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:47 AM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well dont keep us in suspense for pity,s sake ,where did you get the Brisk plugs?Cost?
Old 06-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Sorry ! Forgot that part...haven't found them IN the US. But at Amellung Modellbau in Germany, and he charges about $5 US, I think (can't remember) then the shipping, which is pretty pricey to the US. But for me, it was worth it to KNOW the cap is properly seating into the bottom of the plug shield.
Here's the url ; Amellung , just click ZDZ engines, then ZDZ Accessories, scroll down a bit, and you'll see them.
It was worth it to me to get them. Having said that, the NGK BPMRF6 works just as well, it just doesn't FIT as well...
Old 06-20-2002, 01:09 PM
rmteo1
My Feedback: (2)

Or you can get them from the ZDZ importer (RC Showcase) for $7.00 each.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Diablo-RCU

Before you go out on the hunt for Brisk plugs, I'll repeat what I said before. Just cut "MORE" of the end off the NGK plug. I use a water cooled grinding wheel at work. You can make the NGK plug the exact length or shorter than the Brisk if you like. I've got 120 flights on the NGK plug in my ZDZ....no issues. The plug cap fully seats on the plug and in the bottom shield.