Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Idiot Proof Kill Switch for Magneto?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Idiot Proof Kill Switch for Magneto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:09 AM
uLTRASPORT1000
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot Proof Kill Switch for Magneto?

Is there any way to set up a kill switch on a magneto engine that will not allow startup without the Rx and Tx being powered up? I have a G62 with manual and servo activated kill switches, but I like the failsafe provided by the fiber-optic switches on my battery ignition systems.
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:14 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kill switch for Magneto

Put a micro switch in a seperate ground wire and run a plastic pushrod from a servo to operate it. Just dont forget to turn it on when you get ready to start the engine . It's takes some getting used to the extra switch.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:17 PM
uLTRASPORT1000
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks Terry,
I was hoping to find an idiot proof system.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:07 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made mine pretty much "Idiot Proof" buy putting it on a chennel with a momentary switch. I have a radio with assignable switches. It does not keep the switch closed, just when I pull the switch. I have the standard kill switch on the plane, and also have the trottle set close completely at low trim. If you have a "throttle cut" switch on your transmitter, you may be able to program to a seperate channel.
You can also set up a switch that is tripped by the throttle servo or pushrod at low trim.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:07 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Idiot Proof Kill Switch for Magneto?

The latest RCM has an article on making an electronic switch from an old servo. If you ran your kill line thru the normally closed contact of the relay you would have your idiot proof kill switch. Your transmitter and receiver would have to be on and the switch you are using to control the servo would have to be in the right position before you could start your motor.