RCS 140 will not run

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:50 PM
steve51
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCS 140 will not run

Any RCS experts out there?
I have an RCS 140 on a PT-1 with a 16-8 prop that refuses to start. Was out flying 2 weeks ago and it strated like normal choke on 1/2 throttle till it pops, than choke off to idle and 2 flips and it starts ran great and while setting up on approach it died. While troubleshooting found no spark took it home. Next day checking it out found it had an intermittent spark and after a close look i found the ceramic insulator cracked in te spark plug cleaned the plug well and spark every time you turn the engine at TDC, wet the plug with fuel no spark figuring it was the plug ordered new plug.

Friday. With the new plug installed i still get a spark at TDC when moving the crank and wet this plug with fuel still had a spark. Figuring i had it took it out fueled it and went to start it had one pop and backfire starting it by hand and got out the starter and had it start and run for 3 mins and quit. sevral more attempts ended up the same way no consistant run and than it went to not even wanting to start but still had spark at every check? Strted to think its a fuel problem so packed it in for the night.

Saturday. Went to the local mower shop and got a walbro repair kit and rebuilt the carb. Made sure to seal the carb to engine gaskets well and keeping the vent port to the engine clear set the low and high needles to 1 1/2 turns from closed ( they were 1 1/8). Once again figuring it's better took it back out and fueled it and went to start it well normal starting procedure led to several pops and a random backfire after 50 flips. Walked away for 15 minutes to cool off and one flip after that it started and ran for 2 mins and quit. A few hundred flips and different pimings it ran until the plug cap fell off, put it back it would restart. Did this 3 times and than tie wrapped the cap on and now no start. Every time the plug was removed it had a sprk while flipping it. It never ran more than 2 minutes at a shot. Checked it out saturday night and tightened the snap ring on the plug cap so it is secure chrged the ignition battery. Spark still looks good.

Sunday. Once again confidence high took it out and tried to start it tried RCS showcase method nothing, my way 3 pops and one backfire for 200 flips I QUIT arm is way too sore to try anymore......

This engine ran and started great until it quit that last flight most people were amazed at the ease of starting of it, but now just frustration tried contacting RCS but only an answering machine and i still await a call back.

I somehow feel it's the ignition module but have no way to check it out and would like to be able to narrow it down before i get a new one anyone have any ideas or have a similar experience with an RCS engine?????

Thanks.....
Old 07-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: RCS 140 will not run

The plate under the carb is kinda thin, sometimes it gets warped and the pulse could leak, leading to no fuel...
Old 07-18-2004, 03:39 PM
sea157
My Feedback: (30)

Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere.
Check all wiring for loose or broken wires and connectors.
Also make sure your switch is good.
I had a BME-44 that whenever the motor was running the vibration would loosen a bad connector.
It would have good spark when you turned to prop by hand but with the motor running the vibration would loosen the bad connection.
Once I found it and soldered it she ran like new.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:07 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

did you get that baby running again? what was wrong?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:28 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

steve51. I have the same exact problem right now with my rcs 180. I found that I'm leaking gas/fuel/air out the spark plug. I had it running perfectly when all of a sudden it quit. Trying to start it would pop and pop etc. The threads in the head for the spark plug are shot. I too am waiting for a call from rcs.

Gunny
Old 07-28-2004, 06:05 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Steve, it sounds like your ignition system is going or has gone sower. Have you #1- checked the battery under load.
#2- checked the switch. (turn it on, connect it to a test light and tap it hit it, make sure it is not shorting out. ) #3- traced out and checked out your wires to assure there is not a brake in them or they have rubbed raw, somewhere. #4- replace the ignition box.
I have gone through what your experiencing several times. Every time it was the switch or the module that was bad.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:40 PM
steve51

First thanks alot for all the tips..

The latest is i found the carb plate warped and just replaced it last night also i took off the back engine cover to check the hall effect sensor (see if it was loose in the plate a suggestion from Tom at RCS) and it checked out good. Well took it out and went to start it and with the choke on flipped it till it popped and than with the choke off and about 10 flips it started ran like junk for 30 secs and died. It looks like with the thicker carb plate it move the throttle so what used to be idle was now throttle plate closed so it loaded up. Well being under a tree in the driveway and watching a few bolts of lightning i quit.

I hope to get out this evening if the rain quits and give it a shot again, I'll let everyone know what happens. I'd like to have it run like it did before i quit.......
Old 07-28-2004, 06:51 PM
steve51

I QUIT..... arm is way to sore to continue....

Tried again tonight was able to get several 5-10 second runs on it only after choking it until fuel was dripping and than 20-30 flips. Tried the starter same results as by hand. Tried it with high and low needles at anywhere between 1 to 4 turns out no change, throttle open anywhere betwen idle and full no change. It has me starting to believe that it is a fuel problem now maybe the fuel inlet needle is not lifting off the seat? and all that is happening is it is burning off the fuel from the choking? Anyone know a way to check out the acion of the needle when i changed the diaphgram i did not adjust anything just changed the diaphgram.

But I still also have suspicions of the ignition box being bad after the engine quit in flight but there really is no way to check it out and would hate to buy one and not need it. But as always when checking it for spark on the bench it always has it when flipping it and a good white spark, maybe the advance feature.

Any thoughts??
Old 07-28-2004, 07:20 PM
krayzc-RCU

steve after i do all that i know how i send them in to let the big boys save me some headaces....
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
steve51

I know it's almost time to send it in but it has become a personal crusade......

Funny i can fix a 2 million buck aircraft engine and a little 2 cycle has me going crazy....
Old 07-29-2004, 12:47 AM
gunny11

steve 51, I've sent you an e-mail. I have a spare carb. to try and an ignition. It's one or the other. In my case it seemed to be both.

Gunny
Old 07-30-2004, 09:35 PM
steve51

THE ENGINE RUNS...

Went over Gunnys house this evening and with his help and know to be good ignition module we had the engine running in a short time, just long enough to fuel it and hook up his module and flip it several times. Seems the module would have a spark when moving the crank at TDC but for some reason not when trying to start it. It all came down to the module being bad....

We worked on adjusting the engine for some time and it looks like the easy starting engine is back, and after working out a deal the PT-19 might be flying tomorrow thanks to the help of Gunny.

I must use this forum to thank Gunny for offering to help me. We both are members of the same club but i must admit i have seen Gunny at meetings but would not say that we really knew each other. So in reality he went well out of his way to help a fellow modeler in need by offering his time, parts,experience and use of his shop. He helped to prove how willing modelers really are to help each other solve problems. I have seen Gunny post many repllies to peoples problems here on RCU, and after meeting him i must say that he someone that really makes this hobby as great as it is..

Once again thanks to all that offered tips and again Thanks Gunny....
Old 07-30-2004, 09:45 PM
krayzc-RCU

way to go guys (group hug)
Old 07-30-2004, 11:40 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

That is how aeromodelling brings people together. Great to hear.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:37 AM
gunny11

Steve 51, Thanks for the so kind words. Your very welcome. And if you ever have a problem with your gas engines etc. by all means give me a shout. I'm glad yours was an easy fix. Steve, I got my 180 going too. Tomorrow I will give it a full run up on the test bench and fine tune the needles.

Thanks,

Gunny