Gas Fuel Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Ticidytoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Fuel Line Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to finish up a 1/5 scale Mustang with a ZDZ40 and have a fuel line question.

I would like to use the slimline filler and mount this in the "Scale" location on the model. The problem with this that I see is that i will be creating a very long run of fuel line. It will have to run from the carb back to the rear of the cockpit, then forward to the fuel tank. That run will add up to about 46 inches. 26" from filler to carb and 20" from filler to tank.

That seems to be too long of a run even for a pumped gasser. Am i right ? or does anyone know if this will work. Any ideas ? Options ?

Will I have a problem with flooding the carb if I use a "T" fitting and a fuel dot instead ? The carb is inside the fuze and I dont want fuel spilling onto the ignition which is mounted behind it.

This is my first gasser and could use some help on this one.

thanks !!!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Gas Fuel Line Question

A Walbro or Tillotson will pump fuel at least 4 feet straight up, there's no place in any airplane too far away....You can't pump fuel hard enough to overcome the inlet needle in a gasser carb..It takes at least 10 lbs pressure to unseat the needle, there's no pump that pumps that hard...[8D]
Old 09-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Ticidytoc

The instructions I have from RCS say 2-3 feet from carb to tank. My concern was the fact that the tank was forward of the filler and fuel will have to run from the forward mounted fuel tank back to the filler, then forward to the carb. All this adding up to almost 4 feet. Its nice to hear the carb will pump fuel 4 feet away vertically.

Thanks for the help !
Old 09-17-2004, 09:51 AM
rhshel

If R/C Ignitions tells you about carbs and pumps you can believe every word! I've been using Ralph for engine work for years and he's right on!

About the filler line, you might find that a TETRA valve (3 way) would solve some of the distance problems. I've used them for Gas and Glo and they don't leak!
rhshel
Old 09-17-2004, 11:05 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I would ditch the Slimline system and go with a "tee and fuel dot" type setup. I had nothing but problems with my Excel Fueler. It had an air leak that I could not fix. Like RCIGN1 said you won't flood the carb with the tee and fuel dot. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Ticidytoc

The fuel dot sounded like the better option to begin with. Its unfortunate that I have already built the mounting area for the Slimline filler. Is there a fuel dot for 1/8 i.d. fuel line that has the same or close to the same diameter as the Slimline fuel filler ? The reason for this is because the fuselage has a recessed hole in the scale location now no thanks to me. [:@]
Old 09-17-2004, 08:21 PM
rhshel

ParagonAero makes the best fuel dots and spinners out there.
We also have Cactus Aviation and Desert Aircraft and both carry fuel dots.
Also for smaller set ups check out Central Hobbies in Montana. They cater to the patern crowd and have TETRA products. TETRA makes some small fuel dots and Valves that you turn on to fill and off for normal run and they don't leak. Best of all they can be used for glo fuel and gasoline.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Ticidytoc

I need something either 3/4 or 13/16 to fit in the hole. Too bad they don't give any measurements on their sites. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will find something that I can make work. That 3w filler sure looks nice.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:56 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Why not just go to a 3 line system and ditch the "T".
Vent, fill and supply. It matters not how long the fill long is. You can place the filler where you want to and still not be concerned with the pumping capacity of the carb.