Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50 w/ tuned pipe, good for 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50 w/ tuned pipe, good for 3D?

Hi, I just wanted to ask those in the know if the tuned pipe would be worth the extra money and weight for 3D application.

I know that the pipe will increase power output, but is it mostly at top end for IMAC type flying?

I want to increase the hover pull out power of a 17 lb 3D model that I'm flying with a BME 50 / 22-8 prop at the moment.

I have a DA-50 on stock muffler w/ 24-8 Menz prop on my 28% Wildhare Extra 300LX and like it a lot.

So, I'm contemplating another DA-50 w/std muffler or is the tuned pipe the way to go?

The BME 50 will find a home in a 85 inch GeeBee R2.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:29 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DA-50 w/ tuned pipe, good for 3D?

Depends on the type of pipe. A real hard tuned pipe has a power band of less than 1000 revs, outside that powerband its a pig. As you
detune the pipe or change the design, the power band gets larger, until you end up with something like the tuned canster setups. Nice broad powerband, some power increase and quiet too. But not as much power as the hard tuned setup.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:40 PM

TKG, Thanks for the info. I don't know what type of tuned pipe DA sells for the DA-50.
I like the quietness of the pipe/cannister arrangement and will accept a weight penalty if I can get the power benefit to cancel out the weight.
Overall wing loading is not a concern for this particular plane as its got over 1800 sq in for 17 lbs.

My last tuned pipe was a Macs pipe for an OS .45 FSR back in the eighties....

Any recommendations for a 3D power band type of tuned pipe/cannister for the DA-50??
Old 11-04-2004, 08:21 PM
My Feedback: (75)

I have the tuned pipe DA50 on my Composite 2.3. It is worth the money. Increased power and very quiet. Hover at 1/2 throttle if that. A great setup. The pipe runs half way through the fuse before it exits the bottom. You will be very happy with this.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (61)

Ditto with Redsox... the pipe DA sells is excellent and makes good power. If your model is 17 pounds, that is heavy without a pipe for unlimited. You will need to shave some weight..or add the pipe.. preferably both. The DA 50 is the lightest 50 cc around so you should shave at least one pound over what you have.. add the pipe - you will add back a few ounces but gain valuable RPM.

If you really want truly unlimited 3D without worry of overstress, an 28% extra, edge or cap should weigh in optimally 15 pounds or less on the stock setup. The CArf 2.3 comes in at the hairy edge of what the DA will pull for unlimited. The extra 2 pounds makes a huge difference.

DP
Old 11-04-2004, 09:09 PM
My Feedback: (75)

My Composite came out to 19 pounds so you can imagine the unlimited power I have. DA has the same setup and is at the same weight. If you have any questions, they are fantastic in that they will help you out with the install every step of the way.

John
Old 11-04-2004, 11:19 PM

John & DP, thanks for the input. I have learned that 'hovers at 1/3 or 1/2 or whatever throttle' doesn't really mean that much when it comes to pull out vertical acceleration. I have seen guys that say their plane hovers at 1/2 throttle bury the throttle and the plane barely climbs away.
Thats why I'm interested in those that are using a tuned pipe/cannister for 3D.

Basically if two identical planes were to have a vertical drag race from a hover, one with a DA stock muffler and the other with a DA tuned pipe ( and whatever weight difference for the exhaust setup, no structural mod weights) lets say a Menz 24x8 prop on both, Who would out accelerate the other initially and at the top of the climb????

BTW, my Wildhare 28% Extra came out at 17 lbs empty and the DA on stock muffler is very well matched, I wouldn't call it a rocket out of hover but pulls out very nicely.

I had considered the MVVS 58 with wraparound muffler (I hear that it puts out over 40 lbs thrust) but its in short supply and the Euro is strong, so that means $$$. At listed prices, the MVVS w/ muffler would be around $800 and the DA w/ tuned pipe would be around $750 and DA service is legendary. I don't know about MVVS support and customer service, haven't heard much either way.

Any hardcore 3Ders out there using a tuned pipe?? Does it give more torque to spool up the prop from a hover??
Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Please note that 1/2 or 1/3 throttle does not mean that at 1/2 throttle the engine is turning 1/2 the peak RPM.
You have to tach the engine at all throttle settings and then use the expo or mixing function (if your radio offers one) to make the throttle curve linear.

Only then you can truly gauge the performance of the engine at various throttle settings.

BTW: From the numbers posted here on RCU, the KS-1060 pipe will typically give you a 300-400 RPM increase over the stock muffler on a Mejlick 23x8 prop and the setup is much quiter too. I don't know the actual dB numbers though.