Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New US engine USQ57B

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:15 AM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New US engine USQ57B

Has anyone tried one of these yet? Does the posted weight include the muffler? 4.16 pounds. Their other engines on their website include the muffler in the weight so I was hoping that this one would too.
[link=http://www.us-engines.com/pc-310-23-usq57b.aspx]US Engine[/link]
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: New US engine USQ57B

I posted a question about this engine on the Quadra support forum. No response yet. They must be on vacation. The new engine looks pretty insteresting, but I don't know if it is in the same class as the other engine in this size category, namely the MVVS 58cc, etc. I kinda doubt it, but it would nice to hear it from the Quadra people.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been working on getting a Rep. to respond over there, I'll keep trying.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The number I have is 717 343 1529....
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Volfy

Ralph, I know recently there was some discussion on calling vs. emailing a distributor for engine info. I prefer posting questions on RCU support forums for several reasons:

1. For those of us who work mostly at our office desk during the day, it is not always convenient to pick up the phone and chat loudly about RC-related stuff.
2. Most often, there are others who might be interested in the same info.
3. I like to be able to go back and review answers to previously asked questions, because, well..., I forget.
4. I believe it is more courteous to allow them to answer at their prefer time than to interrupt their presumably busy work day, particular on casual questions with no immediate sales intent.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Antique

Seems like it doesn't get much response that way....The number I posted was on a bill received on 11-3...It doesn't agree with the number on the website..You don't want to call ?
Here's different fax number from the same bill....717 790 9642...You could use that so no one would hear the conversation.....[8|
And Hanspeter NEEDS some sales intent....Quadra and Klaus Nowak almost singlehandedly STARTED the quarter scale power plant thing with the Q35 and Q50..Where are they now ?
Dick Bennett at bennettbuilt.com probably knows more about Quadra than anyone else outside the factory, why not ask him ? He would welcome your call
Old 12-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Volfy

Actually, I talked to Dick Bennett quite frequently as I buy a lot of stuff from him. I figure I will ask him about the new Quadra 57 next time I call him. Dick is a self-professed "magneto-guy". I had to get him to order a Q52B for me because he doesn't stock battery ignition engines. That doesn't stop me from trying to change his mind though.

As I said earlier, I figure Hanspeter is probably on vacation. And since my curiocity isn't exactly burning a hole in my pants, I don't mind waiting a bit for an answer. As it is, I need another 50-60cc gas engine like I need a hole in my head. I would just like to know how the Q57B compares to my Q52B.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Antique

Costs less, made from a different source, some other foreign weedie or chainsaw....
And only the Q52s come from Wisconsin, made by or for Tom Sabatini...
Klaus was one of the few engine people who had reasonable parts prices....
Old 12-17-2004, 12:23 PM
jsevey

I am very new to gas engines. I see there is a "B" and "M" version for battery and magneto. What is the advantage/disadvantage of each? I am considering a US41 for a TF giant P-51. Any info is appreciated.

Jim
Old 12-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Antique

The "B" is lighter and requires a battery...Performance is the same either way, starting is usually easier with battery ignition...."B" is more expensive...
Old 12-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Flip and Fly

The cylinder and head on that engine looks like something you find on Fuji motors. Interesting size, I wonder what the bore and stroke is on it. The weight seems reasonable, however I would speculate that it is just the motor only. Those steel mufflers are heavy. It looks robust, kind of like all Qaudra's are.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Antique

I have seen Fuji 50s, definitely not one of those...They won't tell, otherwise you could go out and buy the saw or weedie they came from and save big $$$$..The case is flat on the back so no extra mount is needed....There's no mag on the front so you would need CD ignition....OR..
You could use the stock flywheel and make a coil mount on the front of the engine like some others.....No big deal....
Old 12-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Schpankme

US ENGINE made in CHINA ... plz

Beam me up Scotty,

Schpankme
Old 12-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Rupurt

I have a T-shirt that says made in USA on the label on the neck and another label an the side that says made in Thailand. A lot of gas engine companies seem to use industrial cylinders because of availability, similarly no model engine company is going setup to produce there own unique bearings when the can get cheap standard ones.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To RCIGN1:

A note about Quadras. Ron Schettler of Edmunton, Canada was the first to use a Quadra engine in a model plane. For about a year previous to this, a group of modelers in the STARS club in Olean, NY were attempting to fly a squadron of 1/4 scale Bristol Scouts using an assortment of engines, geared Webra 61's into a twin configuration; O&R industrial, and belted glo engines. We had success with Roper engines purchased from Horner Sales, which were converted to glo. The we heard about Ron and his Quadra. George Privateer and I each purchased a Quadra from Ron. It was the answer to our prayers, so I immediately became a Quadra dealer - the first in the USA - getting my engines from Ron. Sales were so good that Quadra decided to set up an aero division, and the guy that became sales manager - I have forgotten his name. He was replaced by Bob Cooper, and Bob lasted I would guess another two years when he decided to move on. They asked me to be the US Quadra representative, but I had a full time engineering job, and couldn't accept. That's when Dario Brisighella and Dick Bennett got on board, and I am not sure of the order. I then had to purchase my engines from both parties, since there were no more direct sales from the Canadian factory. This is about the time that I believe Klaus Nowak entered the picture.
He may have always been with Quadra, but I didn't meet him until hundreds of Quadra 35's had been sold. He may have been Bob Coopers replacement, and it was Klaus that developed the Q50 engine for model use. Klaus also sold a tuned pipe for the Q35 that gave it the power of a 50, and I believe that is what got him his job at Quadra.

When Quadra had manufacturing problems with getting their cylinders chrome plated, I tried to get VanderHorst Corp. in the US to do the job, but there wasn't enough money in it for them to want the business. About that time, Quadra went out of business and Klaus Nowak took over the line of model engines. I lost track of them after I sold my business.

If anybody gets credit for starting the Giant Scale movement, it has to be the STARS club in Olean, NY. We had the Bristols flying at Rhinebeck on Ropers a full year before the Q35 appeared. Just for fun - here is one of my first Quadra sales bulletins:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48185.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	204115  
Old 12-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, I have one of those 35 cc Quadras "over balanced" by Mario............NIB any idea what is worth now?
Old 12-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Jim Messer

I wouldn't venture a guess, but those earlier engines were darn good engines compared to the later ones in the 90's when they were having manufacturing problems. Look on the bottom of the crankcase and see if there is a date inside a circle - that would be the year it was made. Also look at the fin by the spark plug - the earlier ones had a tall fin - later models had this cut off. Where did you get your Quadra? Did you buy it from me?

When I first started selling Quadras in 1977, I purchased them for $50.00 each, and sold them for $79.95. The ad above is from about 1980.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Antique

Those old 35s were/are great engines..The mag coil from a G38 bolts right on and replaces the coil and points on the older ones...I still have a big box of Q35 stuff here...I got into 1/4 scale sometime in the early 60s, must have been right after Klaus took over....My neighbor has a chainsaw he bought 30 or more years ago with what must have been the predecessor to the Q35 airplane engine in it...It's identical with the exception of the spark plug location...The plug is on the front side of the cylinder and so the plug wire is only about 3 inches long...One one of the rollers somehow got out of the rod...took it apart and put in a rod and rollers from one of the other old Q35s here, now works fine again...
Old 12-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Hircflyer

Jim,

On bottom of crankcase date in circle is 81, also stamped Made in Canada.....S/N 85063 Top fin by spark plug looks like it has been ground off has tool marks.

Looking to use this motor in a Dynaflite PT-19 looks like with a little modifications it should fit okay..............what do you think? will it have enough power?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little more history. Started out as Frontier chainsaw, made by TML (Trail Manufacturing Limited) in Trail BC. Then went to a place in florida, then to Huron Park, Ontario. Then manufactured by Petco here in Kingston, then went to to Klaus. As an industrial engine I still have a 300 watt generator with Quadra motor, and a saw. Also made woodsplitter, and weedwacker.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Jim Messer

To Hircflyer: You have a good Quadra in my estimatiion. It is one of the earlier ones, made in 1981, and my guess it has points. Should be easy to hand start. I am not at all familiar with the plane you mention - therefore cannot comment. However, I had good success with airplanes in the 17/18 lb. range with 18 x 10 and 20 x 8 props. Let that be a guide.

To RCIGN 1: You know what. I also have one of those old chainsaws with the short coil wire. It is a Poulon. At my first visit to the factory in Huron, they were making chainsaws for everybody. The guts were nearly identical, and the plastic parts on the outside gave them their individual identity.

To Flypaper 2: Thanks for the additional information. I missed any move to Florida, always was associated with Trail, and Huron Park. Must be it didn't last long.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim:
Yes, they made for Pioneer, P10 was the model # alsoDanarm. Husqvarna, Jonsereds. the one i have is Power Tuff. Yes, a short time in Florida. Have to find out where in my old repair manuals.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Antique

Hanspeter's new US 41s look good, I have 6 here to convert to CD ignition...They use a different Walbro carb and come with an aluminum velocity stack....
My neighbor has 2 of the old saws, one is a Skil, the other came from Sears or Wards, both over 30 years old and still going strong...[8D]
Old 12-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Hircflyer

Thanks, Jim

Forgot to add, I have been thinking of replacing the points system and the magneto.......what system or what do I need to get? Is it a fairly easy mod to do? I'm new to these gassers but was an A&P mechanic for fourty years so I think I can handle it.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Jim Messer

To Hircflyer: You would be best to direct the question about ignition conversion to RCIGN 1. I am not familiar with the ignition systems on the market, and therefore not in a position to give you any advice. Sorry.

To RCIGN 1: We are way off the subject matter (new Q75), but I guess it really doesn't matter since others haven't taken us to task for doing so. In that vein, I have a question to ask you. You mention that the new US 41 is fitted with an aluminum velocity stack, and my question relates to it.

Way back when, when I first introduced the Quadra engine to the marketplace, all engines came with a white plastic part that fitted on the outside of the carburetor. It's purpose was to insulate the carburetor from the bolts that held it to the engine. I can remember receiving complaints about hard starting engines, especially when trying to re-start a hot engine. In almost every case, the pilot had thrown away the white plastic insulator, and when it was put back into place, the problem ended. It seems that there was enough heat transmitted through the two bolts to affect the operation of the carburetor when the plastic insulator was not used..

Now - my question to you is simply this: What has changed? The way I see it, with the metal velocity stack there is no insulation between the bolts and the carburetor. Whereas the factory used to tell us that the insulator was mandatory for good performance, it doesn't seem to be that way now. What are your thoughts on this?

I used to take the white plastic part and just cut away a part of the rib so that a 1/2 x 90 deg. copper elbow would fit snugly into it. A little JB weld held it there permanently. The elbow was directed straight into the airstream, and with slight needle adjustments, the engine produced as much as 500 more rpm than normal. The ram air acted just like a turbocharger would. I had an engine, so equipped, that turned about 8500 rpm static on an 18 x 10 Zinger prop (old thin style). Klaus Nowak could never figure out what made the engine so good. He had a "sound tachometer" - a device that he could tune to the sound of the engine, and when I would fly the airplane by at full speed, he told me that it unloaded to 10,500 rpm. I presume that the entire system from elbow to the end of the exhaust stack was exactly tuned, much like a tuned pipe. At that time, the engine was exhausted into a 1 1/4 dia. O.D. x 90 deg. chrome plated copper sink drain elbow, into which I had inserted an aluminum spool piece full of holes that changed the direction of the exhaust flow to act as a muffler. There weren't any mufflers on the market at that time, and the little thing that came with the Quadra didn't get the exhaust to the outside - so we had to make our own. Have you ever tried supercharging an engine in this manner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.