Opinion on 2-stroke oils....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 11:42 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on 2-stroke oils....

Greetings all,
I have read quite a few opinions on 2-stroke oil, and the various ones used on gas engines, such as Sears, Lawn-boy, and just about all the others you can buy off the shelf from Wal-Mart, K-mart etc......
I raced Motocross for quite a few years, and read many articles on 2-stroke engines and oils. I also did a bit of "testing" on pistons for Wiseco through my sponsor at that time.
I had found the best oil that I used was called "Yamalube". The Bel-Ray brand ( MC-2 ) was a close second, but many times having pulled and checked the "top-end" on my race bikes, the Yamalube was the cleanest burning oil. Yamalube is available at any Yamaha shop, and was less than $4.00 a bottle.
Although most people are flying "Sport" and these engines are not subject to the high rpms of racing, I cant see using the same oil that I would put in my lawn mower, as the arent too many gas engines that are cheaper to replace than my entire mower!
I feel that anyone who spend $400.00 to $2200.00 on an engine would likely like to have a good oil to mix with their gas.
Of course, alot of peoples opinions may differ, but this is just to let people know that through my experiences, a better, cleaner burning oil will go a very long way to extending the life of thier engines, so I hope this helps.........
Old 01-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Opinion on 2-stroke oils....

Other than PCM vs PPM two cycle oil has been one of the most discussed topics on RCU. If you will use the powerful search feature you can read opinions on two cycle oil for hours. Hope this helps..........
Old 01-08-2005, 08:56 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back in the day, i used yamalubeR. i believe it was petoleum based. mixed at 32 to 1 for my dt250. for my cr500, i used belray mc1 which i believe is synthetic. is mc2 petoleum based?
Old 01-09-2005, 01:21 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

there is NO MC2 that I can see,,, it's MC1,,, and H1R should burn cleaner than MC1, but H1R has an octane booster (what ever it may be), I know because I called Bell Ray once.

http://www.belray.com/consumer/newpa...ductspage.html

Jim
Old 01-09-2005, 08:41 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

I actually meant H1R rather than MC2...........
Old 01-09-2005, 02:27 PM
mrbigg

the smell of Belray MC-1 mixed with TurboBlue race gas first thing in the morning.........what a rush!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Hard to beat the smell of 100LL coming out the exhaust of a B17, then getting in and flying from Marana to Oshkosh..Been there
Old 01-09-2005, 04:16 PM
mrbigg

i heard that!