Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

"New" gas fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:29 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New" gas fuel line

Anyone using this?---Stopped by my local friendly neighborhood chainsaw repair shop today & "Leo" showed me a new fuel line that he orders direct from "Stihl"---looks & feels very similar to the silicon glow fuel line that we all use---this product is 1/8" I.D.x1/4"O.D. & "Leo" tells me that "Stihl" claims it maintains it's flexibility, does not harden or deteriorate in gasoline---Any & all comments appreciated---
Ed
Old 01-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Futurase
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: "New" gas fuel line

Ed,
If Stihl makes/or sells it I would be willing to bet it ain't all bad. I for one sure would like to have some fuel tubing that was more like glow line. I hate Tygon tubing. Hard, inflexible, once stretched out will not skrink back. I hate the stuff, but have no choice but to use it.

Norman Ross Jr.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:41 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Aerotrend flex tubing is far better than Tygon... or maybe its just a more flexible version of tygon dyed blue - .. whatever the case, it is good stuff. Also - you can get thin walled tygon for use inside tanks.. works like silicone. I use the 1/8" ID 3/16" OD stuff routinely.. when it gets gas on it it is very soft and stays soft.

DP
Old 01-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I've got some of the Stihl fuel tubing on a G23. It's all most clear, and it's been on there 4 years and is still good. I don't know if it's the same stuff you're talking about, but this is holding up fine.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Black molded neoprene is the best, but nobody listens...About 1/16 ID, doesn't get hard or fall off fittings, works for any engine including 150cc twins...You don't NEED large diameter fuel line on ANY gasser, the inlet needle hole on ALL Walbros is less than .060 diameter....[sm=tired.gif]
Old 01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
famousdave

RCIGN1 - I listened!!!

That is what I use.. smaller the better.. makes it more flexible. I think its funny - I have seen 5/16 fuel line on the larger planes.. adds weight and does nothing!!

DP
Old 01-17-2005, 06:59 PM
tande

RC, what is/are the source/sources for "Molded Neoprene"---
Thank You
Old 01-17-2005, 07:08 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with neoprene, is additives in the gas in some parts of the country will turn the neoprene to "mush". Especially in the larger metropolitain areas with "clean fuel".
Old 01-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Could be..I thought California and Arizona had more additives than anyone..
I have looked into thousands of Walbro carbs with neoprene diaphragms, never saw a mushy one....I buy the fuel line 100 feet at a time from
Custom Injection Molding, Inc., Garden Grove, CA 92843..
714-554-0531
Don't know if they sell retail or in smaller lengths............
Old 01-17-2005, 08:09 PM
tande

Terry---That's an interesting observation, "Leo" in post #1 did tell me this fuel line from "Stihl" is their answer to deal with the changes in gasoline formations---
Ed
Old 01-17-2005, 08:23 PM
tande

And Thank You RC, for the neoprene source info.---
Ed
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

California is leaning more and more to ethanol and methanol gasoline additives. Those are aside from the other emission additives and oil company proprietary additives. The ethanol and methanol mixes in higher quantities have been know to have effects on some rubberized products.

Every time they change the gasoline blends in California we seem to go through a rash of vehicle fires starting in the engine compartments. Motor homes seem to get hit the hardest, but other vehicle types get nailed pretty hard as well if they are more than 5 or 6 years old.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

SO what is the problem in making fuel line that is safe for gasoline and alcohol?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Josey Wales

Im using the Dubro 3/32 ID and thats still pretty stiff..maybe theres an online source for the stuff RCign1 uses..
Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Geistware

SO what is the problem in making fuel line that is safe for gasoline and alcohol?

According to Aerotrend, that easyflex line IS safe for gas and alcohol. And it stays flexible.... <shrug> you guys can go hunt down neoprene, but this is all I use gas or glow. http://www.aerotrend.com/shop_subcat.php?subcat=4

Roger
Old 01-18-2005, 07:52 AM
tande

Hi Redrum!---I've used the "Dubro" neoprene as well---It appears to be of "Seamed" construction & I have had problems with splitting in the area where it is stretched over a fitting------For what it's worth---
Ed
Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 AM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

California is leaning more and more to ethanol and methanol gasoline additives. Those are aside from the other emission additives and oil company proprietary additives. The ethanol and methanol mixes in higher quantities have been know to have effects on some rubberized products.

Every time they change the gasoline blends in California we seem to go through a rash of vehicle fires starting in the engine compartments. Motor homes seem to get hit the hardest, but other vehicle types get nailed pretty hard as well if they are more than 5 or 6 years old.

Typical moron lawmakers!! Gotta love Cali. I lived there for 8 years had to get out... now
I just wish those mushroom heads would stop moving here they are ruining AZ too!!

DP
Old 01-18-2005, 04:58 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I don't know how anyone is still alive in California. Everything I buy in a jar or can seems to cause cancer but only in California
Old 01-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

These are the two AeroTrend fuel lines I am currently using, neither makes a very good clunk line, the one on the right is really stiff and has definite memory. There are a couple of pieces of what Ralph recommends off to the left, that is what I use for clunk lines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67901.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	217180  
Old 01-18-2005, 07:39 PM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

Though they are both gasoline tubing, AeroTrend AquaBlue is like a steel rod compared to AeroTrend EasyFlex.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: tande

Hi Redrum!---I've used the "Dubro" neoprene as well---It appears to be of "Seamed" construction & I have had problems with splitting in the area where it is stretched over a fitting------For what it's worth---
Ed
Yea it split on me to on some muffler pressure fittings..I figured it may be ok on the clunk line because there isnt any pressure like on a muffler fitting..It works the best out of all the lines Ive tried so far including Tygon and EasyFlex...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
famousdave

If you use Aerotrend you have to use easyflex. Inside the tank, use the thin wall tygon or the Stihl tubing... the only way to go. Neoprene is not that good. I have seen it fall apart, creating a black sandy crud in the tank.. that would not be good in your walbro! Neoprene gets hard too... must be the junk they put in AZ gas..

DP
Old 01-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Josey Wales

I think I came up with an answer..at least for me..I cut a short piece of Easyflex and connected it to the clunk. Then inserted a piece of brass tubing about 3/4 up to the tank cap..then attached another short piece of easy flex to the brass tube in the cap..around the clunk I put a small nut and secured it with tie wraps on both sides.the brass tube underneath allows you to cinch down on the zip ties and they hold the nut from moving up and down the line..I also made sure the nut was not touching the clunk..now the clunk moves around the tank like using glow tubing...
Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Josey Wales

Ok heres my idea..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57433.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	217734  
Old 02-16-2005, 08:28 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Sorry guys, but neoprene is NOT compatible with gasoline, A lot of people (even Dubro some years ago) confused Buna with neoprene just because they are both black, Nitrile is also gas compatible. Aerotrend is the real deal it lasts forever and doesn't get brittle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.