Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

F.P.E Engines-What are your opinions?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

F.P.E Engines-What are your opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:59 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F.P.E Engines-What are your opinions?

There are many of us the use AMSOIL and our engines seem to lasting as well as anyone elses. In fact, AMSOIL is listed and approved by both DA and 3W in their manuals. The Spectrum synthetic oil can be used at 100:1, but many of us use it at 65-80:1.

To make a blanket statement about an oil not being any good and not protecting an engine from wear seems to be an uninformed opinion, rather than a fact. I strongly recommend that you always follow the manufacturer's recommendation in their instruction manual, to keep from voiding your warranty. It makes me question, why DA would recommend only AMSOIL Spectrum oil after break-in in my new DA-100, yet list several break-in oils for the first five gallons, if they did not believe AMSOIL is a good product.

Good luck with your new engine, sounds like it is really starting to spoil you with the great operation. You may want to replace the worn wire, to prevent the possibility of further failure in the air or possible interference.

Happy Landings!!!
The following users liked this post:
n8rloves2fly (05-15-2021)
Old 11-20-2005, 07:38 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still enjoying my FPE 3.2 after just a few flights. In the air, it four-stroked at first and I have been gradually leaning and it is running better now. The engine has loads of power for the Sig Sundancer. I've lost idle twice in the air and I think the low end needs to be leaned.

I began with Husqvarna 50:1 oil but it puts out a sticky black goo that won't even wash off the plane so I went to the local Honda motorcycle dealer and bought Bell Ray Si-7 synthetic. It is much cleaner after just two tanks.

Larry
Old 11-20-2005, 10:07 AM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

Run Amsoil 80:1
Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Muroc1

Some very good reviews about the FPE engines. Thanks for sharing them.

Frank
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 PM
mga

I noticed it was 2005 since I was on this topic of the FPE. My Edge 540 T by Wild Hare, as you can see I still have it. it now has over 3000 flights. Never had a problem with the 50cc. By the way I use Bell Ray MC-1 synthetic oil. I mix a 40 to 1 mix.I also use 91 octane on all the engines. That is what I like, same mix for all 3 engines. Kurt recommends this oil. I had to send back my 40cc after a crash which did some damage to the engine. The 40cc had over 300 gallons through it, and Kurt mentioned hardly any deposits on the piston, it was still very clean. He did a great job of repair and a very fair price. The 40 cc is going int a Katana by Pacific Aeromodel. That is it on the bench. I m still working on it. The plane will weigh less than 14 lbs. I also bought about 3 or 4 years ago the 70cc and it is one fantastic engine. It was in my Lanier Yak and I sold the plane after about 300 flights. Now it is in a Wil Hare Cap 232 modified to a mid wing. This plane has about 200 flights. So far a great and powerful engine. That is the plane with Jason Shulman. the JDRF stands for Junior Diabetic Research Foundation. I being a diabetic, like to promote for funding. Also as you can see I fly the Cap in the winter. Then engine starts very easily in the cold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76777.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1383446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90878.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1383447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58934.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1383448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32055.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1383449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80571.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1383450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx32907.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1383451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74575.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1383452  
Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: mga

I noticed it was 2005 since I was on this topic of the FPE. My Edge 540 T by Wild Hare, as you can see I still have it. it now has over 3000 flights. Never had a problem with the 50cc. By the way I use Bell Ray MC-1 synthetic oil. I mix a 40 to 1 mix.I also use 91 octane on all the engines. That is what I like, same mix for all 3 engines. Kurt recommends this oil. I had to send back my 40cc after a crash which did some damage to the engine. The 40cc had over 300 gallons through it, and Kurt mentioned hardly any deposits on the piston, it was still very clean. He did a great job of repair and a very fair price. The 40 cc is going int a Katana by Pacific Aeromodel. That is it on the bench. I m still working on it. The plane will weigh less than 14 lbs. I also bought about 3 or 4 years ago the 70cc and it is one fantastic engine. It was in my Lanier Yak and I sold the plane after about 300 flights. Now it is in a Wil Hare Cap 232 modified to a mid wing. This plane has about 200 flights. So far a great and powerful engine. That is the plane with Jason Shulman. the JDRF stands for Junior Diabetic Research Foundation. I being a diabetic, like to promote for funding. Also as you can see I fly the Cap in the winter. Then engine starts very easily in the cold.
mga,

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I'm loking for a new small gas engine and posts like this really help me make up my mind. I'd prefer to buy American if possible.

Frank

Old 02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
mga

Can't go wrong with FPE
Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Muroc1

Thanks again. The FPE and the Syssa brand are my two short list choices.

Frank