Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

H9 Extra 330L engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:06 AM
smokinjoey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Extra 330L engine

Hi scott I have the first version of hanger 9's extra and there sukhoi both have zdz 80's in them. It is in IMHO the best combo I have seen. In regards to the wing bolts both of mine are done that way.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Scott S.
My Feedback: (2)

Smokinjoey,

Did you do anything special when you converted the wing set screws? Also what type of bolts did you use (nylon 1/4-20)?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Coke

Since I last posted on this thread I've flown the Extra loads more and I've now taken the CG further back I've now got the ignition nicads behind the firewall with the radio lipos instead of right at the front of the cowl so I reckon the recommended CG is on the conservative side in reply to patternflyer I do not use a kill switch (radio operated) nor a choke servo as I just see these as excess baggage the throttle servo is up front on the cowl mounting bulkhead. The model engine combo is astounding I love it
Old 04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Glad to hear that the cg is on the conservative side. I'm gonna try and get away with the rudder servo's in the tail...

Thanks for the reply coke man.....

C ya
Old 04-06-2005, 03:55 PM
lyndon915
My Feedback: (1)

Patternflyer1,
Look out for having your Gas tank to far forward. The reason I placed mine over the wingtube is because this is where the CG of the plane is. With such large amounts of fuel, having the tank too far from the CG can have a drastic effect on the CG as you brun fuel. Also be carefull of too many wires running from around your ignition to your reciever. This is a primary source of interferience on gas engines. Remember that little box is putting out 24,000 volts and some nasty RF. I used Optical isolators for both my throttle and choke servo's so there is not a single wire that runs from the front of the plane to the reciever. In this configuration my range check with the engine running was more than the area that I have at my field. I went over 300 feet from my plane in two directions and did not go into failsafe.
Anyway other than having your tank and rudder servo's in a diffrent location it sounds like our planes will be very similar. If this is the case you will ove it. Gas is so much nicer than glow and you can fly in 20 mph wind and not be blown all over the place.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Scott S.

Lyndon,

Can you please tell me where I can get these optical isolators from?

Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 PM
lyndon915
My Feedback: (1)

One of the Guys that I fly with makes them. He is an Electrical engineer and knows what he is doing. The sending unit runs off of the reciever and the reciving unit runs off of a y harness that is powered by the ignition battery. Only thing tha ends up connecting the throuttle an choke servo's to the reciever is one fiber optic line per servo. I know I have heard of these being available comercialy but they are very expensive and I do not know where you can get them from. If you would like though I can talk to him this weekend and see if he would sell you some. I know he has some made up because he supplies everyone at my field with them if they want. Anyway let me know. I dont know what he would charge but I know it would be less than $50 for both throttle and choke isolators.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:29 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I think I will try some fiber optic servo extensions between my throttle and choke servo and the receiver. I'm hoping this will isolate the noise from the ignition. It should. Why wouldn't it?
Anyway here's the place where I'm getting them..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=412

Lyndon,

I have it mounted touching the wing tube. I don't think I'll ever run it down past half but who know's. I'm just trying to get the nose weight...

Hope it works, if not, it's an easy move...

Kris
Old 04-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Scott S.

Lyndon,

Yes, I would appreciate it if you could find out for me how much he would charge. It sounds like that might be the best way to go.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:33 AM
smokinjoey

HI scott I did'nt do anything special but what I did do was drill and tap the wing root and installed 1/4 by 20 nylon bolt with pobond. I then cut the head off and used nylon wing nuts. These can be found at any hardware store in the plumbing section they hold your toilet seat on.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Scott S.

Smokin-

That is an interesting way to do it. I was going to drill a hole and put blind nuts in the root and them run bolts from the fuse into the root. Your way may be a little better yet. Thanks for the idea!

Old 04-07-2005, 01:47 PM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: smokinjoey

HI scott I did'nt do anything special but what I did do was drill and tap the wing root and installed 1/4 by 20 nylon bolt with pobond. I then cut the head off and used nylon wing nuts. These can be found at any hardware store in the plumbing section they hold your toilet seat on.
After 2 seasons using this technique, I have found that the nylon screw eventually wears out and needs to be replaced, that is a hassle...

The best way to do is put something that never wears out in the wing (steel stud or blind nut) and something nylon that screws from inside the fuselage. If something fails, it is always the one easily replacable, not what is in the wing.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Stupid internet connection!!! Trying to load a picture, and lost the damn connection!!!!
So forget the text, I'm not going to retype it. I'll share a few pics, but I'm too ticked to type it all again.

But I will say this:
DA-100!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89167.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	308002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82002.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	308003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41214.jpg