Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

needles da 150

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 PM
rcnutmd
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needles da 150

anybody know base line settings for the needles on a da150 i got motor brand new from a private seller and the low end was set 5/8 turn out and high end was 2 1/2 turns out that seems lean on low end and rich on high end any info would be great thanks john
Old 03-29-2005, 11:24 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: needles da 150

The needle settings depend a bit on carb types. The 100+ engines have larger carbs.
Brand new from private seller. Hmmm.. Is the engine history known? Has the carb been tampered with?

On WA and WT types, typical factory setting is both needles 1.5 turn open. This does not have to be the best setting for a particular engine. It is a Walbro setting, that may, or may not be changed by the engine manufacturer.

A few quick and dirty rules:
The engine should be in good condition, clean spark plug gapped to 0.6mm, membranes OK, throttle stop set for slightly open.
First get the engine to run rich at full throttle. L-needle 1.5 turn, and H-Needle 2 turns open to start with, then lean out the H-needle to max rpm, now open up slightly. (1/16th turn)

* Both needles together now provide wide open throttle mixture.
* Leaning or opening the L-needle requires about half of that amount on the H-needle in opposite direction to keep WOT mixture constant.
* If the engine is reluctant to idle or start well, the idle needle probably is too lean, or the fuel regulating needle sticks. (rubber tip), or the brass mesh strainer inside the carb is clogged.
* If leaning of the idle needle makes throttle respons worse, or the engine tends to die upon throttle advance, open it up bit by bit (1/8th turn max!), until transfer to half throttle is without hesitation.
* go back to WOT, and readjust for max power. (also do this in between as often as possible)

The idle needle now is within 1/4 turn lean of the required setting. Fly, and when landed, see if the engine keeps running well at idle. Sometimes, opening the needle (CCW turning) from this setting a little bit provides better starting. Closing from this position is not an option, because it would make the idle mixture too lean.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:41 AM
Howie-RCU

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory settings for the DA150 are 5/8 of a turn on the low and 2 turns on the high. The low neddle is quite sensitive and will not vary much from 5/8.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 AM
excaliber

New engine? I have question? why is it that when a guy has a problem with any engine he is reluctant to make a simple phone call to the manufacturer? Pride? doesn't want to appear dumb? Or is it simply because they want to see them selves in print. Or is it the fact that most of these posts are trols?
If a person has a tooth ache he/she doesn't call a vetranarian, well maybe someone would. Just call Dave Johnson and get the right answer.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:37 AM
2.6mrod

i set the mixture as the book lists low end 5/8 open, high end 1 7/8 open (might as well be 2 turns ) and the motor runs perfect

rod
Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

There are NO magic needle numbers for you to set them at. ANY number is just a starting point, from there everything depends on your environment (heat/humi/alt.) and set-up.

Do what preivers said to and you will be fine.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:15 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called DA on my 150 and they told me 1-1/2 on the high and 5/8 on the low for beginning settings