Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Got my G-45 today NO SPARK

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:19 PM
dqman40rock
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my G-45 today NO SPARK

Does anyone know why I would not be getting any fire on my G-45? I bought it from a guy who has not run it but he was told it was fine.
I pulled the plug to see if It would give any spark and made sure I followed the directions for flipping from the proper position(has a spring starter) and nothing.
This is maybe a dumb question but does the engine have to be plugged into a battery? I know many do but I dont know about this one, not to mention this is my first gas engine.
Thanks,
Darren
Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Got my G-45 today NO SPARK

If it has stock magneto it does not need battery. Make sure the black wire on the front coil is NOT hooked to anything.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:02 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

The black wire should be grounded when you wish to kill the engine. If you are using the zenoah switch harness that horizon markets for these engines, the switch is marked backwards. They use a generic switch that is marked "on" when the ground circuit is made. The engine will not run when ground is present of course, so it should really read "off" when it is "on". Got that??

If that is not your problem, there are troubleshooting steps in the manual that may help.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 AM
rcglert

This may seem like a stupid suggestion, but are you touching the plug to the engine case when you turn it over. It won't spark unless it is touching.

Tom
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 PM
lcbabj
My Feedback: (7)

Also check the magnet gap. I have G45 and had the same problem. Loosen the two magnet screws, place a piece of paper between the magnet and the pickup and push the magnets in until they trap the paper. Tighten the screws while holding the magnets against the paper. Also, when flipping the prop, make sure you are slapping it. Get a welders glove and grit your teeth, because it does not feel too good until you get use to it. Also like the other fellow said, make sure your ground wire is NOT attached if your not using a switch. Would recomment a switch if it has a banana plug or something.

Good luck and be careful..

Chris