Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gasoline engine starters.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 11:57 AM
omawho-DISABLE
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline engine starters.

I have seen an attachment for a standard starter that is either geared or belt driven that allows the starter to be used for giant scale gas engines. I know that sullivan makes a big, honken starter but it is too big and clumbsy. Anyone know where I can get one of these attachements or if you have one you no longer need I would be wiling to purchase for a reasonable price. Any help on this subject is appreciated.

Many thanks, Ed...
Old 10-10-2002, 12:17 PM
BALSA BANDIT

Default Sullivan starter

It's really hard to the the Sullivan starter for a dependable unit. I have had mine for 6 or 7 years now and so fay the only engine I can not turn over with it is my 3W 150. I really don't know of any other unit of the same quality...Ken the "Balsa Bandit"..
Old 10-10-2002, 01:53 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default reduction drive

What you saw was a Miller belt reduction drive. Install it on a standard Sullivan starter and when using 24 volts you can start most anything. The standard Sullivan starter will not burn out with 24 volts because the gear reduction reduces the torque the starter must produce.
Millers telephone is 707-833-5905
Old 10-10-2002, 02:27 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

I have used both types.....I prefer the Miller belt drive starter. It's much more powerful than the Sullivan and a whole lot easier to handle with one hand.
I placed my starter switch on the top handle and you can easily use it with one hand contrary to the Sullivan which is indeed clumsy.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:55 PM
omawho-DISABLE

Default Miller R/C

That's the one I was referring to. The Miller belt reduction unit. Didn't know the name of it though. Many thanks to all who answered. You have been a great help, as always.....
Old 10-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Russ Verbael

Default Miller Starter Adapter/Big Engine Starters

Does Miller have a web site...or is there product info available somewhere?? I'd like to find out and they don't answer their phone....(Sunday).

Thanks for any other advice before I jump into a G-38. Never had an engine larger than .91 and I am concerned with being able to start it.

I am using a Kavan geared starter now...love it for the 61--91 engines.

Russ V.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:31 PM
dirtybird

Default Re: Miller Starter Adapter/Big Engine Starters

Originally posted by Russ Verbael
Does Miller have a web site...or is there product info available somewhere?? I'd like to find out and they don't answer their phone....(Sunday).

Thanks for any other advice before I jump into a G-38. Never had an engine larger than .91 and I am concerned with being able to start it.

I am using a Kavan geared starter now...love it for the 61--91 engines.

Russ V.
The G-38 I had started easily by hand. If your is like mine you wouldn't need a starter. The big flywheel on the G-38 allows you to get a nice spark from the mag. Just get it wet then flip it hard.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

For what its worth, I have made my own using a motorcycle starter. Very powerfull. and not expensive on the second hand market.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:37 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, the electronic inginition equipped engine doesn't need a starter either. They are very easy to start by hand, probably the easiest of all of them regardless with or without starter. There are upgrade kits to equip most any engine with it too.

For the cost of a starter set-up, the ignition probably would be cheaper way to go.....just a thought here.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:28 PM
omawho-DISABLE

Default Starters vrs electronic ignition.....

Can't argue the point of using an electroinc ignition being cheaper, unless you happen to have several gas engine airplanes. Then it becomes quite expensive.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:12 AM
dirtybird

Default Millers phone no

The telephone number for Miller RC I listed above is the one given on their starter. Their literature gives another one. 707-883-5905. The telephone co has been playing with the area code again. Their address is: 159 Greene St. Kenwood Ca 95452
Ops just checked with my previous post and discovered it is the same number.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:14 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Here's the scoop:

It's called "The Persuader" and it's made by:

Miller R/C Products
PO Box 425
Kenwood, CA 95452

Phone: (707) 833-5905
Fax: (707) 833-0059

It's a belt-reduction unit (4:1 ratio) and fits most 12-24V starters.

Good Luck......

PS: I do not think they have a web site. Sorry.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Or you can do what I did, and have an onboard starter fitted like I did on my ZDZ 210 monster motor.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:59 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default starter

Has anyone used a air gun for starting? Seems like they have lots of power. I know you would need a tank like a 20lb propane tank for air. Small electric 12 volt air compressors are cheap. If there is 110volts at field a good air compressor would be real handy to have a flying fields and could be stored in a shed with grass cutting equipment. I have a 20 lb tank and with about a 100 psi pressure in it, it will do a lot. Just never tried to start a plane with it. Should be safe around gas also. Thanks John
Old 10-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you have a magneto engine, I would recommend a spring starter from B&B http://www.bennettbuilt.com/
Old 10-15-2002, 11:32 AM
les2097
My Feedback: (508)

Default Starters...

Hi,

I'm wondering if you can get the Sullivan Model 4 starter with the Miller belt drive unit???

Does anyone have any advice about the Sullivan Dynatron starter motor ... versus ... the Sullivan Model 4 motor???

We generally use engines like the ZDZ 80, Brison 4.2, 3W78 ...

Thanks

Larry
Old 10-15-2002, 12:55 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

les2097

No, two separate companies. You'd have to buy the Sullivan and then the Miller and put them together yourself.

The Dynatron is a complete unit and it's specs are 12 or 24 VDC operation, maximum 80 amps. 340 in-oz (240 N-cm) of stall torque at 12V, 680 in-oz (480 N-cm) at 24V. 4800 no load RPM at 12V, 9600 no load RPM at 24V. For all engines up to 2.4 cubic inches (40 cc) and many to 3.5 cubic inches.

The Model 4 motor is just that, a motor with a boat starter (or belt drive) built on it. You want the Megatron , which is a all in one unit. It's specs are 12V or 24V, maximum 100 amps. Output is 600 in-oz (424 N-cm) at 12V, 1200 (848 N-cm) at 24V. 2800 no load RPM at 12V, 5600 no load RPM at 24V.

You can see that the Model 4 turns 600 oz in. @ 12V while the Dynatron will only turn 340 oz in @ 12V. The Model 4 is almost twice the power. The Dynatron is a very good unit (owned 2 of them) but they won't turn a 100cc engine. The Model 4 will easily turn a 100 cc engine because of it's added power. Also the Megatrom (Model 4 motor) can handle engines up to 8 cubic inches (130 cc) and larger, depending on engine condition and compression ratio.

If you get just the Model 4, you'll have to add the parts to make it possible to turn a airplane engine, because it's set up with only the belt starter. The parts would equal more then just buying the Megatron , which is a Model 4 motor with the cone starter for plane engines and handles.

If you'd like to see these starters side by side, go to:
www.sullivanproducts.com/ and click on Starters

Hope this helped.....
Old 10-16-2002, 02:17 AM
les2097
My Feedback: (508)

Default Starters...

Thanks for the post... I now understand...

Take care

Larry
Old 10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

les2097

No problem, your welcome.

Another thing I wanted to add to all that was if you take a Dynatron starter and put the Miller reduction unit on it, you'll have more than enough power to turn over 100cc engines (or better) with no sweat. In fact, you could easily take the Dynatron , put a portable power pack on it, then the Miller reduction and you'd have one hell of a portable big engine starter! I'm considering doing this myself for the reason of portability and power in one unit and the cost will be about the same as (or cheaper) than buying a Megatron then having to deal with a power pack for it. Not to mention it will be a smaller package. And easier to handle.

If I do this (in the future) I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:39 AM
captinjohn

Default gas engine starter

I will ask again- Has anyone ever used a air gun for starting a gasser????? Thanks John
Old 10-17-2002, 12:59 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

captinjohn

Personally, no. I've never seen a air gun used to start a engine. There's no reason why it wouldn't work, it would. I think (and this is a big think) that most are saying to themselves, you'd need to haul a compressor to the air field and run the air line just to turn over a engine. It's just a bit too much. Most have trouble just transporting their planes let alone air gun equipment.
Now, if your thinking along the lines of a electric compressor run off your car battery, maybe yes, maybe no. I can't see a small electric compressor (like the ones you carry to inflate tires, that take forever) being able to turn a air gun enough to turn a engine. A bigger one, yes, but your now back to carrying a lot of extra bulky equipment.
What did you have in mind? Maybe you have a idea that maybe feasible for a air gun type of setup to work with a R/C engine. Not meant to be taken like I'm flaming you, I'm not. You may indeed have a legitimate idea that could bring something new to the hobby. I'm interested.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:28 PM
captinjohn

Default WAYS TO START ENGINE

RC JAE: Read post #14. This is meant for rc people who may have some of the needed equipment allready. Seems like to me a big electric starter and a battery that is strong enough to run a big starter is going to weigh maybe more. Anyway I believe a 20lb air tank which you could fill when you get gas on way to RC field and a short air hose hooked up to a air gun should do it. As I said, a air compressor at the field stored in a shed would be good in many ways. Just like at your work shop. It is very usefull to have compressed air. Like anything else though, you got to have a working noggin to make use of it. Flame away if you want. I am going to make use of what I got. Thanks Capinjohn
Old 10-17-2002, 02:06 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

captinjohn

Like I said, I'm NOT flaming you. I'm interested. Yes, I re-read post #14 and you've a very valid point. I missed that one entirely, my mistake. I was thinking about carrying all that stuff about. If your field is lucky enough to have a enclosed area (shed, etc.) that you can store a tank (under lock and key) this would be great! I see no reason why this wouldn't be a valid way of starting engines at the field. Everyone could use it.

(The reason I point out a shed, etc under lock and key is because we're not lucky enough to have one. We're lucky we have a few picnic tables to sit on! And ((of course)) the lock & key is obvious.)

I'm with you on this one, I think it's a good idea. If the club has the facility and the guys chipped in and bought a small tank or compressor and a air gun, it would do the job. You'd have to find cones to fit, but I'm sure that can be handled. In theory it could be used to start any engine from .40 size up to 200cc and beyond as the pressure (or speed & torque) of the gun can be regulated for the size of engine your starting. Me thinks you might have stumbled upon a very good idea. (No flames!)
Old 10-17-2002, 06:40 PM
captinjohn

Default engine starter

I have one word - -COOL Captinjohn
Old 10-17-2002, 07:01 PM
augiep38
My Feedback: (3)

Maybe I am missing something, but why do you need a starter for a gas engine? I thought one of the advantages of going gas was less support equipment.

Todd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.