Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Best muffler ZDZ80 H9 Extra 330

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 AM
HardDeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best muffler ZDZ80 H9 Extra 330

Hello all

Recently had back half of pitts style muffler fall off (in flight) of ZDZ 80 -- so need replacment. The muffler had a habit of loosening (at engine attachment) which I had only been able to manage by making small holes in cowl so I could tighten via long allen wrench evey few flights. Need similar style muffler, but I am interested in opinions re best muffler in this application -- re retention in the plane, power, noise trade offs, etc -- if any?

Thanks
RJM
Old 09-05-2005, 03:38 PM
dave19
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Best muffler ZDZ80 H9 Extra 330

I also have a zdz80 and had problems with the muffler coming loose all the time evan with loc-tite on it. I found a cure though. Buy some red silicone at a auto motive store and put some on the threads of the bolts and where the muffler meets the cylinder and you should be done for good. Mine has been good since I did that.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I had a J&A Pitts muffler with the strap that goes from the muffler can to the engine mounting bolt. On any Pitts muffler the strap is a must. I used high temperature silicone seal on the muffler bolts and as an exhaust gasket. Held on just fine.

If you use a smaller side mount muffler, you'll have less trouble keeping the muffler in place. There's less mass shaking around trying to loosen the bolts.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I have an almost new Supersonic Pitts muffler for the ZDZ-80. It is supposed to produce the most power of any of the Pitts mufflers. It has a radiused header to guide the flow into the can instaed of the flat plate that most otyher Pitts have... they splash exhaust and gunk back inot the cyl. I never had any problems with it loosening. I use Permatex UltraCopper instead of a exhaust gasket, and I clean the threads of the bolts very well. Then I use blue-locktite on the threads. I've never had a muffler come loose doing this.

I sold my ZDZ-80, and this muffler is for sale as well... PM me if you're interested. It only has 10 flights on it (I switched to this from a Bisson Pitts right before I sold the motor... doh!!!). I'll sell it for $30 less than the new price with free shipping... not sure what the new price is right now.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
petergordon
My Feedback: (5)

I'd suggest www.bissonmufflers.com for a replacement muffler. The bolt heads go into the muffler and get closer to the actual mounting flange than with a Supersonic. This minimizes the leverage or torque on the bolts, and keeps them tighter as they are less prone to vibrating...

Peter