Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-38

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Floater-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-38

Hi Guys,

I have a G-38 in a 1/4 scale Super Cub which is my go to plane when I just want to relax and shoot touch and goes. This plane is in it's third season, although not a high flight count.
Now here is my problem, I am running the stock muffler modified with down tubes and a Master Airscrew Classic 18/10 prop. This is also a float plane so the need for a plastic prop. Last year it was turning 7200 with this prop which was good. Over this summer the rpm has been creeping up until now it is at 7800 on the ground and I really am not happy with the performance as there seems to be a lot of wasted power. I know this not an Extra and it does not need all that power but I figure if it is there why not make it usable.
So does anybody know of a plastic prop that I should try that will load up the motor a little more in the 18 inch size range. I'm not sure a 20 inch prop would have enough clearance when the plane is on wheels.
By the way, after a few growing pains (operator induced) this has become one of my favorite engines.
Thanks Guys,
Floater.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 PM
RustyTumbles

Default RE: G-38

Try an apc 18x8 wide blade. I had one on my G38 and it would turn at 8300rpm with the slimline muffler.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:07 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Help! my engine has become too powerful after break-in....................

Many folks here wish they had such problems
Old 09-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Floater-RCU

Thanks for taking the time to answer Guys I appreciate it!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:54 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

I see no particular reason to use a crummy plastic prop just because you fly floats. Coat the prop it it's wood. What are you concerned about, that it's going to rot? I use a Menz 17 x 12 prop on my converted G38 and it loves it.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Floater-RCU

Mr Rosebery if you ever flew off of water you would know that when wood or carbon fibre props contact even small amounts of water at high RPM you get the same results as if they hit cement.
They really get messed up.
Floater