Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Ignition battery - can I run it by the reciever ?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition battery - can I run it by the reciever ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 06:49 PM
mercula
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition battery - can I run it by the reciever ?

Ive been through alot of trouble keeping everything seperated but I could use the ignition pack back by the reciever for balance . Will
the battery wires carry back interference ? Can I run a certain type of wire to make it ok ? Its a mvvs electronic ignition . Thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ignition battery - can I run it by the reciever ?

Not worth the risk. You are talking such a small amount of weight, why not just move the battery pack back.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:24 PM
mercula

Thats what id like to do , I should have specified . It could be about 4 in behind the reciever but the wire would run past the reciever on its way back to the front of the plane would that be ok ? can I run my flight pack and ignition pack together ?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Bob Laine

Hi Mercula, I just would not risk it. you should try and keep your ignition and all of it's wireing at least 6" from your reciever. More is better. If you can't move your battery back, use a larger size battery. It's not worth the risk of crashing your plane with using your ignition for ballast. I'm sure that you'll figure it out. Good luck with your flying.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

I have run the ignition battery strapped on top of the RX battery. I have never had a problem with it. The battery is output not input item. There should be no RF from a battery. Only RF would come from the ignition module or the spark plug wire or spark plug itself.

Chad
Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Bob Laine

I agree, That's why I suggested that he move the ignition pack back to the receiver location.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

A lot depends on how well your ignition is grounded. I have had the ignition and receiver packs as close as 2 inches.
IN my present setup, the ignition is 2-3 inches from both RX packs. I check my ignition and range test so that there is no real range difference. Usually from 100 paces, I get a difference of 3-5 paces at most. This is using a Futaba 9C and either a 149DP or 138DP receiver.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:02 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I have found that component placement depends upon what you have. I used a CH ingnition with the standard plug wire and boot, and had significant interference from the switch being within about 8 inches of the rest of the stuff. I had it replaced with a new style boot and it seems much, much less prone to interference. The only way to know is to range test your radio in the setup you're running, and see what happens.
Good luck,
Sam
Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 AM
mercula

Thanks fo the tips guys .
Old 09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: coony2787

There should be no RF from a battery. Only RF would come from the ignition module or the spark plug wire or spark plug itself.

Chad
Most electronic ignition systems share a common battery/HV plug ground. All may be well until a ground connection becomes intermittent or develops a high resistance between the plug and the ignition module. If that happens, you can have ignition/rf noise generated across the bad connection point and transmitted back on the battery ground. If in doubt, measure the resistance between your battery ground and your plug wire ground.

Kevin