Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G62 Starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 03:12 PM
modelav8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G62 Starting trouble

Hi, I have reecently finished 2 Hostetler Cessna 150s and both have a G62. The first one I started up fine on the first try, had absolutely no problems starting after that, first flight went flawlessly, etc. no engine problems. Well, I have worked Friday and today trying to start the 2nd G62. I dont know what the problem is..when I flip the prop, it 'pops' (ignites) on the first compression stroke, but doesn't keep going. It just stops after the first pop. It has done this for practically 2-3 hours of flipping the prop and now my arm is about to fall off. I just called Horizon tech and the guy told me this problem is no unheard of and sometimes they can be hard to start the first time. He suggested I try some starting fluid in the cylinder. Has anyone else had this problem with starting the first time and if so, what was your solution??? Thanks for the help.

Larry
Morgantown, WV
Old 09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: G62 Starting trouble

Could be a leak under the carb, or the carb itself...Switch carbs, if no help switch insulator blocks, they can sometimes crack and leak...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

I think your prop is just not heavy enough to hand start it easily. If you use a very light prop in a big Zenoah, its almost impossible to flip it with enough speed to get past the first Pop...[:@] It will pop every time and want to start, but with a light low mass prop it just not have enough speed to get through the next compression stroke and start.... Chances are there is NOTHING wrong with that engine. From what you describe I would be money that there is nothing wrong with your engine. You can test what I say by trying an electric starter, she will start right up ! If you can find a young kid with a baseball arm that is able to flip it super fast that might work also, but it requires very good technique AS WELL as striength to flip it past the compression fast enough for it to start. I would strongly suggest a spring starter, its only 50 bucks from Horizon, only weighs a couple ounces, and it flips the prop fast enough so that it starts every time .

I had the exact same problem after switching from heavy Dynathrust Props to light carbon fiber Mejzlik props [:@] My arm almost fell off trying to start the same engines I had started by hand for several years... I was finally able to hand start them by positioning the props on the hubs perfectly, and flipping them super super fast, but its VERY VERY difficult to start a G-62 by hand with a light ( carbon or wood) prop. Get the spring starter ! My G-62's are on the airplane in the picture below.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37505.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	320653  
Old 09-07-2005, 08:41 AM
modelav8r

Yeah, I am sure there is nothing wrong wither... Just can't get it going fast enough. I am a pretty good sized ol boy and I am flipping it as hard as I can, just seems like its not enough. I had the same thoughts about the prop weight not being enough, I have a plain ol Zinger on it right now with some Mejzliks on the way. The only starter I have is one for a glow engine, the tower hobbies kind, and its not strong enough to turn it over. Are there big starters out there??? I haven't seen one yet, but I have not looked hard either since this is my first giant scale plane.

RCIGN, I already checked those places around the carb as that was my first thoughts, but it is all very tight. How could I find a leak if it had one??

Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Big starter= Miller Belt drive reducer. Other choices Spring starter[:@] CH Electronics Jump Start CH Electroincs full electronic ignition or RC's conversion
Old 09-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Antique

Chainsaw shops use air pressure..They block off all openings and use a small pump with a gauge...Not really practical on our engines unless you can make the plates to cover the carb and exhaust....They mostly check crank seals for leakage...
I can hand start G62 with Zinger props, it just take the right technique...If one starts and the other one doesn't the problem is elsewhere....
Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with JettPilot. I found it was a lot harder to start the Zenoahs with a shorter, lighter prop. You might try putting the prop in the 11:30 position and see if that helps. It'll enable you to swing through better when you flip it. I wouldn't start tearing carbs off just yet.

Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: tkg

Big starter= Miller Belt drive reducer. Other choices Spring starter[:@] CH Electronics Jump Start CH Electroincs full electronic ignition or RC's conversion
Why dont you like the spring starter TKG ? Its so simple, just turn the prop backwards a bit, let it go and get out of the way [X(]

Did you have problems with a spring starter once ????
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
JettPilot

I have 3 big Zenoahs... 2 G-62's and a G-45 that is new... Its exactly the same story on ALL 3 zenoahs... With a heavy Dynathrust prop they are pretty easy to start by hand As soon as I put a lighter prop (like wood, cabon fiber Mezlik, APC, etc ) on any of them, there is just not enough weight to keep the engine turning after I flip it. I get a pop every time, but no start.

It is possible to start them by hand with a light prop, but it requires PERFECT technique, PERFECT prop positioning, and the fastest doggone super human flip you ever want to see... Im a young strong guy experienced in doing this and I can barely do it [X(]
Old 09-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Antique

And I'm a 70 year old experienced guy, and I can easily do it
Old 09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

And I'm a 70 year old experienced guy, and I can easily do it
I need to learn how to do that, because by the time I get my airplane in the air my arm is so worn out from starting that I can brealy fly [:'(] I need to see your technique !!! How do you do it ??? (standard magneto ignition engine) ?? How do you position the prop in relation to the compression stroke ?

Old 09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JettPilot,

What kind of airplane is in the picture and what did it weigh? I want to bash a gas twin or triple.

Bill
Old 09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Antique

I put the prop at about 1 and 7 o clock and the piston at the point just starting to feel the compression..The spring is the easy but if your hand slips off the prop it gets hit just like a backfire...
The CD ignition is easiest, your little finger is all you need to flip the prop and start the engine...
Old 09-07-2005, 03:53 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I often prime balky weed eaters and other two strokes with WD-40.

Bill
Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
tkg

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

Why dont you like the spring starter TKG ? Its so simple, just turn the prop backwards a bit, let it go and get out of the way [X(]

Did you have problems with a spring starter once ????
Spring starters must be lubed several times a season, so gotta take the engine off the plane. No lube then soon a new spring starter after a spectacaular dead stick.
Wind them to far and a new spring starter. OOOPS my fingers slipped!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:02 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

Here is a link to solve your problem. The price is a little steep but it will save your arm. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXADJ2&P=0
Old 09-20-2005, 01:42 PM
discusmike
My Feedback: (2)

I had to get a spring starter for mine,then flood the hell out of the carb,they love it,and im sure it will fire up.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Theyardarm

I have found with mine that its about technique not brute strength. Turn the engine over anti clockwise until it JUST starts the comprsession stroke - without moving the engine install the prop at 11.25 position nd retighten the prop. Now put the prop at the 12.30 postion ie just before the compression stroke starts and the magnets will be in the right place to energise the plug and fire at the right time. A good slap with follow through rather than a push and if it is nice and wet it will start within 3 flicks.

The guys who are getting the pops but no start may be spinning the prop from too far before the compression stroke and it is firing (backfiring) on the first magnet - the above method prevents this happening.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:57 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

If you don't want the 12 ounces of a spring starter to carry around and want to eliminate a whole bunch of prop banging contact C&H Ignitions and get a jump start system. Super easy to install, don't cost much and works like a champ. It will eliminate all the problems mentioned and you don't have to spend 50yrs learning the technique to hand fire this engine. Its a great thing....I got one on mine and wont go back