Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

found huge airplane...but what engine size

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

found huge airplane...but what engine size

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found huge airplane...but what engine size

i have been flying 40 size planes for a while ( avistar and a .40 size warbird and a few electrics) and i was at a transfer site (dump) and found 2 bags, one with a fuse and one with a wing, all the servos were in it and has robart pnuematic retract ( still trying to figure that thing out) . the wing span is 73 inched with no wing tips, tail dragger, low wing, semi-semetrical, flaps, it is not completely finished because the ailerons were missing and it is not covered. It has a very large diameter fuse which makes me think it is a warbird. but it is quite heavy i think, like probly between 8-10 pounds with servoes and reciever and all the electronics, its already sheeted with balsa all around. i will try and post some pics but right now i am searching for a motor, i was thinking a supertigre g-2300 or is this just a .90 size plane? i am trying to find a similar plane in tower hobbies but its really hard to say. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-06-2005, 10:09 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: found huge airplane...but what engine size

Hello; It would be easier to accurately answer your question if I had some idea ot the wing area. The length of the fuselage would help too, I'd prefer inches and feet, but I could do metrics if I have to.

I have a fiberglass fuselage that I bought at a swap and shop about 12 years ago, I have been dragging it around with me when I go flying and ask everyone what they think it is. It's difficult to describe shapes. A picture would help identify it. No one could agree what that fuse was for. I am currently flying a chipmunk, so I think it might be a chippy. I have an extra "ultimate" wing that looks pretty good under it. I crashed my Midwest suhkoi but the wing wasn't damaged, I could make that work.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the fuselage is lumpy on the bottom and taller than wide in cross-section it is a P-51 Mustang. If it is smooth on the bottom and mostly a long cone it is a P-47 Thunderbolt. If the fuselage is taller than wide but not lumpy, it is a P-40 Warhawk. It's not a Corsair because you didn't mention bent wings, and, sadly, no one really models the beautiful P-39 Aircobra.

I got that straight from the Psychic Hotline.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:08 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a Zenoah Gas engine !!!

Big glow engines suucck. You will be messing with the glow engine more than you will flying, it will eventually quit, and you will crash into your best friend, destroy your airplane and be locked up in jail for the next 10 years for involuntary manslaughter. [X(]

So the choice becomes clear, the Zenoah is the only way to go, and it will last so long you will be able to pass it down to your grandkids