Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Correct carb for a G-38?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:54 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Correct carb for a G-38?????

I have an older (steel propshaft) G-38 that is nib. It has a WTA 6A carb. The needles are facing the firewall when installed so the pulse hole is correct.[] I have another carb, a WA 197A, that has the correct orientation on the needles when installed correctly. Will this carb work on my G-38?
I also have a couple of WT-76's that came off old 3.2's. They are larger bore, same size as insulator block on the G-38. Will one of these carbs work on this motor?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:04 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Correct carb for a G-38?????

Hi Terry,
The older G38 came with an 11mm carb like a WA-6 or WA-197. Check the number cast into the venturi inlet. It should be 28 which is 28/64th's or 7/16ths. The WT-76 carbs are used by Sachs and are 13.49mm. They should have a 34 cast into the venuri. They are usually used on 45-55cc saw engines. The G38 will run with them, but they may be a little on the large size. An 12.7mm such as a WT-439 would be ideal.

Dave
Old 09-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTA6A 101 The original carb was a WTA6A...It has no choke...It also has a small hole drilled in a brass nozzle above the high speed needle, so closing the high speed needle will not lean out the carb enough for high altitude operation...Factory setting on the high speed needle is from closed to 1/4 turn open..
The later G38s use a WT338..It is larger and has a choke..It's also a mirror image of the WTA6A, so the throtole shaft is at a different angle...
There is little if any difference in the performance of the G38 with the smaller carb...
The WTA6 is a very good carb and parts are still available for rebuilding..
You must have a rebuild kit for the WTA6 as the diaphragms are just slightly different from the other WA/WT carbs..
You can rotate the WTA6A if you want to put a fitting for a pulse line in the crankcase and another in the back cover of the carb..You will also need to make a new throttle arm fitting to connect to the servo...Same goes for the other WA and WT carbs.....
Old 09-12-2005, 06:13 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the WA-197 on the G-38, and it runs perfect. Thanks for all info guys.