Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine for Stearman

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 04:57 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Gas Engine for Stearman

I am building a Ziroli 87" Stearman with a projected weight of 35lbs.
They recommend a minimum of G-62 for power, I am sure even with that engine it will require alot of nose weight. What would be a good gas engine to install in this plane without breaking my wallet?? I have never had a gas engine so I could use a little help from the guys who know!!
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 09-13-2005, 03:01 AM
ShawnM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas Engine for Stearman

I'm sure you just want to bore some holes in the sky and maby throw in smoke here and there just for good measure[8D]

For that, without breaking the bank I'd look at the 80cc singles like the ZDZ or the 3w-75. The 3w is $615 and the ZDZ is a little more than that. Both should put out more than 35lbs (I'd guess in the lower 40's, but I don't know for sure) of thrust so at the bare minimum you'd have a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. The 3w is a good motor (i have one) and lots of folks on here love the ZDZ.

There are several 100cc class twins to pick from (which would be ideal), so if you want to drop the money on one take a look at BME, DA, 3W, and Brison. And all of them are excellent motors. Pick the one you like and have fun.

aircraftinternational.com
brisonaircraft.com
rcshowcase.com
desertaircraft.com
bmeengine.com
cactusaviation.com

I hope this helps a little.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly recommend the Brison 5.8 at only $599.95. I have one in my Corsair and it is a good reliable engine with lots of power. Here is a direct link to the site:
http://www.brisonrcengines.com/5.8_small.htm

What Stearman are you building? Plans/kit? Is it the Super Stearman with a cowl? Got photos?

Ken
Old 09-13-2005, 08:16 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys,
I am building a Ziroli 22.5% Stearman. It will be built as a stock PT-17. You can see my build thread here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3260094/tm.htm
I will look into the engines and see which one looks like a good fit for me. I want a scale flying plane so I think I will stick to a 80cc or smaller.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 09-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"A scale flying plane" is usually defined as slow and doggie.

Ken