Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 80 TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 04:50 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 TROUBLE

This is a brand new engine //never run...........
First would not start at all...reset timing cured the problem under choke...But now needs to be sloppy rich to start ( pull the engine thru like 20 times) I will fire without the chocke at that point but will not idle at all ....Seems like it is just burning the prime out of the carb..Runs 5-7 seconds and dies......

Fuel seems to be drawing .....Low end needle is a 2 turns out....I have checked that the intake gasket is turned corretly.........ANY BODY GOT ANY THOUGHTS ..

Ignition battery is 4.8 volts fresh charged.......
Old 09-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Mrt1750
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ZDZ 80 TROUBLE

Check the throttle plate I think the head of the screws should be pointing in, if you took the throttle arm off to replace it that could be the problem.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Screws are facing inward........I'm noticing a leak in the carb around one of the plates...Just a single drip on gas when choking....I've tried to seal with a small amount of form a gasket....still leaking...
This is a new engine....total run time about 25 seconds..... Does anyone know the model number for this walbro....Perhaps I could pick up a new gasket......I'm really hoping to fly this weekend...I hate the thought of having to send this back to RC showcase........THANKS FOR ANY INPUT....I've read ALOT of the posts under zdz 80 search looking for similar problems
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

If the gasket to the pulse port is leaking, it won't run right or draw fuel well. Since you had the carb off, I would suspect a leak there.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I haven't even tried starting my new 80 yet, but the 50 I got recently (it is a low time used engine, and my first gasser) drove me nuts with the same problem. I found that it just really needs to be sloppy rich to start, and it will not play if the low speed needle is not close to three turns out. It will start with that needle closed more and idles smoother, but it will not cover the transition from idle to high power settings if it's leaner.

I fought that thing for a couple of weeks, timing, new sparkplug, different ignition, different fuel/oil mix, throttle plate check, pulled the carb screen, base gasket, etc. and I just couldn't get it run in any other way than the low speed needle further out. The high speed needle is about 1 1/4 out since the altitude here is about 4500 ft. above Sea Level.

I finally took it up to Dick Hanson and he told me set the needle valves where it works and in the case of my 50, it had too big a prop on it. So smaller prop for this engine, richer low speed needle settings and it starts really nice, covers the transition with no stumbles and will wind up like it's supposed to. It might be worth a try...