Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Sachs Dolmer 3.2/ any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sachs Dolmer 3.2/ any good?

Hi. What is the difference as far as weight, reliability and power between an old (but in good shape) Sachs Dolmer 3.2 and a new Brison 3.2? Thanks in advance
Old 09-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sachs Dolmer 3.2/ any good?

If the old Sachs is a chainsaw conversion with the stock mag it will be heavier...Same cylinder, piston, and carb...The Brison is most likely lighter weight with CD ignition and a different crank..Reliability ? If the stock mag ignition crank is turning there will be spark..The C&H ignition on the Brison will be good if the battery is kept charged...Brison cranks are guaranteed for 5 years, you will never wear out the crank on the chainsaw conversion...
Either one is good....
Old 09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Bass1

RCIGN, The Sachs Dolmer I'm refering to has a CH ignition (the brown case) and it looks similar to the brison except for the prop shaft. It looks a little different as the sensor is closer to the cylinder. Do you think this one is much heavier than the newer Brison?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bass1,

The Sachs will be heavier now matter how you go about it. The Brison cases are cast with the minimum mass in mind. The best you could do with a stock Sachs case is remove a plate or two, with some light maching here and there. If the price was really low it would be worth considering for a particular airframe where nose weight might be needed. Good engine overall. You might want to consider updating the ignition.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Bass1

Silversurfer, I don't see you around much anymore. Must be all that flyin' you're doing. Yeah, I kind of thought it would be quite a bit heavier but was hoping for the contrary. I probably could get a killer deal on it but I'm looking for an engine for my 27% Miles Reed Extra 260 and I need LIGHTWEIGHT and my wallet is currently lightweight.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:47 AM
Antique

The Sachs case is pressure cast magnesium alloy, lighter than aluminum but with extra lumps here and there. for the chainsaw parts....If the Sachs case had all the extra lumps removed it would probably be lighter than the Brison case..The Sachs crank has a bearing in the front and another in the rear..The Brison crank has both in the front..The bearings weigh the same, and even though the Brison crank has only 1 counterweight it has to be almost the same weight as the Sachs for balance purposes...It should be a tossup....If the old ignition works a new one won't work any better...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bass1,

I do understand the wallet situation. Depending on where you mount the flight surface servos, that Sachs could work out pretty well. If the price was right I'd do it.

As to all that flyin' I've been doing, I haven't had the opportunity to put in more than about 6 hours of "actual" R/C since March. Add to that the internet access is a bit difficult to access where I'm at for the moment. I'm looking forward to getting home in October and catching the last few days of the flying season.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:48 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi Bass,
My Sachs 3.2 uses CH ignition and the bare engine without the muffler or ignition is only 4.2 lbs. This being said weight is not a problem. What does the Brison weight? 3.5lbs? Likely closer to 4.0lbs. A converted Homelite 25cc weights over 4lbs. Brison has had crank problems in the past, stock Sachs crank will run for ever.

Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Bass1

The Brison weighs in at 52 ozs., and it looks like the Sachs is about 67 ozs. Almost a full pound heavier [X(]. I wonder how much weight I could shave off if I de-lumpify it.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:48 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi,
Not much. If that Brison weight is advertised weight, it may be on the low side. The weight of the Sachs comes from the double counter weight crank. Mine is exactly 66oz. less ignition and muffler. A G26 weighs 56oz.

Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Antique

I have an old A&M 3.2 here with the machined case...It's all apart but the pieces weight 44 oz with the C&H ignition...A cut down chainsaw case is lighter...
I forgot to look to see if the crank bearings are in the case, but it's still light..
FWIW, a CD ignition G26 weighs 40 oz or less...